Friday, December 15, 2017

Buddy Plays The Part of the Older Brother

One of my favorite parables and it hasn't always been a favorite is the Luke 15 story of the prodigal son. In high school our pastor at Willow Meadows Baptist took every opportunity he could to preach on this parable because it was his favorite. Being young and stupid I thought there were much meatier chapters to preach and teach on. Oh, being so young and foolish I now see the multi layers of this story.

This morning we are experiencing a biblical moment here in the mountains. With a cup of coffee and a short attention span, I stood at the window, looking for the Ferals, In the distance I saw Mama Cat. After several days of riotous living, probably just trying to keep warm, the Feral Fam...all of them...are back. Mama and the kids were now close by, near the deck. The kiddos playing, mom on the lookout for a bird breakfast. I gently tapped the window to get her attention and she scooted herself and the kiddos under the deck. It seemed like a good time to get dressed and then go outside to feed them. It felt like slow motion getting dressed but I greatly rejoiced that all of them had made it through such cold temps and difficult living conditions.When I returned  downstairs, the Ferals were sitting near the rocks at the top of the backyard, near the tent of meeting. I mixed up some cat food I mean I killed the fatted salmon....okay, I opened up the can of cat food. Meanwhile there was a Buddy abiding in the window by day and this nomadic family of cats had her attention. Now Buddy has NEVER EVER liked wet cat food but now since I am making preparations is all up under my feet, interested in the happenings. To make an exit out the door, I distract her with treats. I mixed up the dry food into the wet in the garage, filled the water bottle and went up to the tent of meeting, placed the food down and filled the water dish. I was almost back to the road when the whole fam gathered round the bowls. Buddy met me at the back door and tried to bolt out the door but once again softball reflexes reacted and my hand was over her face impeding her exit. I stood there watching them eat, no scarfing the food, once again with a cup of coffee. Buddy was nearby having climbed onto the back of the chair. She had that unhappy, drawn out meow going on. That is always a good indication she ain't happy. My arm, close enough, within striking distance and she took a swipe at me and tried to nip my hand. Ah yes, we have the prodigal family and now playing the part of the bitter older brother, Buddy. I told her, I always have you with me...you sleep in a warm home, have food to eat, treats galore and a lap at the beginning of the day and at the end of the day when you're tired, you have an arm to sleep on. (Buddy likes to sleep on my right arm) This family of nomadic, Bedouin cats has returned. Buddy being Buddy, went upstairs for a minute, came back and is now asleep in her window. The Feral Fam has either gone into the tent of meeting for a nap or has wandered onto their next stop.

Since it is a little warmer but not by much, the Feral Fam have been out and about more. Two of the kiddos were climbing the trees and Camo was walking along the fence top. It is kind of fun to watch the Mama Cat discipline her charges and then she shows them some love. When I went up there a little bit ago I had dry food and once again MJ debated whether or not he would come to me. He wavered a bit and then took a few steps back but let me see him the whole time. Progress...

That's it for today's biblical moment.

No comments: