Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Onward.....

I am keeping a close eye on Mama Cat. She has sacrificially sat watch in the rain while her growing kittens are snuggled together in the little shelter I have put together. Did more research this afternoon and there are several things that can be done to help them survive the cold. It will be cold tonight but nothing like it will be the rest of the week. So tomorrow, I am going to run to the store and see if I can help them just a little more. I know how cold Buddy's paws get just being inside and walking on the hardwood floors. Just thinking about them outside breaks my heart. I have also realized that Mama Cat is the same cat I was chasing off this summer...away from the birds so it will probably take a while for her to trust me.

Last Friday while waiting in the Dr office I was rereading Evensong, by Gail Godwin. The last time I read this was probably 1999. So sitting there in the office waiting, a rather long paragraph with the characters discussing John 21 happened to be in the chapter I was reading. I nearly jumped up and was ready to high five someone...only, you know, there wasn't anyone to high five. That chapter of John didn't impact me until 2001, so, there wasn't any reason to remember it in 1999. It is so fun to rediscover.

One thing I have to get reused to each year is that winter or almost winter here is a very drying kind of thing. So, my nose being used to humidity all these years has withdrawal or something and lets me know by making odd noises. Sometimes my breathing sounds like the clicking of a rotary phone and other times my nose makes me sound like a ventriloquist withwe the odd squeaks and sounds, especially in the middle of the night. While grocery shopping the other day the thought occurred that maybe Vicks Vapo Rub would help. I mean I have a big ol' jar of it out in the garage but I have used it to keep squirrels at bay from the bird feeder, so you know, I don't want to use that...new jar opened and Vicks up the old nostrils. The smell of Vicks doesn't bother me but it bothered Buddy. She approached me and reeled back on her hind legs moving away. She made a couple more approaches and finally settled in on my arm...but she was none too happy about that. My, my...this cat!
***************************
A cold morning and it isn't going to be the coldest morning of the week. I am trying to stay ahead of the cold with the heat pumps because I learned that the hard way a couple of years ago. The sun is out but reading weather reports for the day, the news seems to be, it will turn cloudy.

We started our new quarterly in Sunday School last week. We are studying the book of Acts and we got right into the study by looking at who the Holy Spirit is and what he does. When we turned to John 14, as per usual, I read beyond the assigned scripture and saw this very familiar verse, quoted so often...but in this season of giving and gifts, with that emphasis these words jumped off the page....out of the NLT version:

John 14:27
I am leaving you with a gift-peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift that the world can't give

We usually bring gifts, we don't usually leave giving a gift. Gifts are really so multifaceted. We are guilty of giving them without much thought and sometimes when we receive gifts we aren't really that appreciative of them. After years of receiving "throw down gifts" which means just something you have in the closet, just in case, from my father, I can spot and feel a throw down gift at thirty paces. And yes, I confess, I am guilty of giving throw down gifts even when I despise them emotionally. One year for my birthday he gave me the book that had been commissioned to put Rhett and Scarlet back together after the famous, Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.... ending from Gone With The Wind. The book received horrible reviews and soon found itself on the sale table marked $5.98. My father said, I know you like to read.... I remember wanting to respond with, I know you like to give cheap gifts....but I didn't. Learning from those experiences helped me be a better giver...if someone likes to read, give them a gift card....let them choose ye this day what book they might like to purchase. Jesus isn't going to give us throw down gifts, that's for sure. He left us with a wonderful gift, peace of mind and heart. It's the best gift to traverse and maneuver through these days fraught with worry and fear. Such a gift! At the time I wonder if the disciples were thinking, yea, yea, peace of mind and heart...but what are you really giving us? Power over the Roman government, toppling it and we are rulers in this land....yes, peace of mind and heart is nice but power....oh yea! Since reading this verse Sunday morning I have thought of so many times I have not appreciated that gift of peace of mind and heart. I'd like to change that this season and onward....

Last night I watched Dr. Ed Young's video from Sunday. He returned to the pulpit after several months sabbatical from his wife's homegoing. His sermon title, What I've Learned. Wow, it started out so personal and he said this is the most personal he has ever or ever will be in a sermon. My heart ached for his loss and how he got away....to hear and learn. At some point though, the preacher in him took over and the second half of his talk, wasn't nearly so personal...so heartfelt. It was preaching...which is good for him, for his church but there was something so powerful in that first part that will stay with me.

No comments: