Saturday, December 9, 2017

All Covered With Snow...

You'll have to take my word on it but it is snowy outside. Day two of snow on snow. I have tried to access pics to upload to the blog but my limited knowledge or the computer is the problem. We should probably go with limited knowledge. Last night we had a brief flickering of lights and then darkness...for a few seconds but what seemed an eternity until the familiar sound of the generator kicking in happened. Looking out the front window I noticed that neighbors across the way had lights and I began to wonder if maybe I had thrown a breaker or something but about that time....the generator quit and went back to the ready position. Meanwhile Alexa was going nuts trying to reconnect to WiFi. All the technology finally came back to normal and we all settled down for the long winters nap. No surprise to awake this morning to more falling snow and it seems that the snow has found new places to stick a landing. The trees are a brilliant brittle with the snow layering on the limbs. The fir trees are laden, yes laden, with snow. Every once in a while the birds attempt a landing in the back and the snow makes a lovely display in the air and then the quick drop onto the ground. I will try in a bit to make my way out back to check on things. I am worried about the Feral Fam. This is a lot of cold to endure.

This morning with the theme of the weekend being snow, I reread one of my favorite passages in the Psalms:

"He sends the snow like white wool; he scatters the frost upon the ground like ashes. He hurls the hail like stones. Who can stand against his freezing cold? Then, at his command, it all melts. He sends his winds and the ice thaws. Psalm 148: 16-18

When we get above freezing today, the snow will begin to melt but another front is coming through tonight so the snow will become ice...ice on the roads. So, I may have to go to online church in the morning. Our church is doing a drive through nativity tomorrow night and I think it is kind of like how the trail rides for the rodeo go in Texas, cold and wet, you can bet on it, no matter the time it is scheduled. I just stepped out onto the front porch cause I heard a noise, probably heavy snow falling off something. Other than that it is so quiet with the exception of a cardinal somewhere out there chirping away. The neighbors have let their dogs out and they are barking quite a bit, which is not unusual. Most of the time I don't notice them because they have become background noise, but when this little part of the world is still and snow blankets the landscape, when you can hear the sound, and it is wonderful to hear this sound, of the heater running...you appreciate those things we take for granted most of the time. Just saw on FB that drive through nativity has been rescheduled due to weather to next Sunday night.

I'm back after a brief snow break. The noise I heard? My neighbors clearing my driveway. Wow! So appreciative of that. Made a couple of snow videos after clearing out the bird feeder. All birds big and small, colorful and not so colorful are happy with that occurrence. Also broke a broom, so now I need a new broom and snow shovel. Roy's idea for using a big broom to clear off about ten to twelve inches of snow....I was trying to make a snowman but the snow on the roof is melting and I didn't want to get caught in an avalanche. The snow falling off the trees reminds me of glaciers calving.

Well, back to winter wonderland. We might get a couple of more inches tonight. There are some similarities and truths that seem to remain constant, weather forecasts and weather people giving good info and sometimes when nature doesn't cooperate with them, bad forecasts. This latest deluge of snow was forecast to be a dusting... I don't know if people had the time to make a run to the store for bread and milk. But the sun is coming out, the gray sky is turning blue. My friend who can see the TN range from her home said the mountains are covered in snow.






No comments: