Friday, December 8, 2017

Snow Snow But We Have Enough, Thank you

The news here and it seems the news in Houston are similar this morning, the talk of snow. From the local channel the time line is mainly Friday into Saturday and the consensus is light dusting, weak storm. Good thing I made that quick run to Walmart yesterday afternoon and truly I needed bread, not a panic buy. The bread aisle was looking a little picked over but then that is not unusual in Walmart in mid to late afternoon.

I went to Walmart to get something to keep those feral cats warm or warmer than being in the elements. Knowing my DIY skills are minimal, I strolled down the camping aisle, not an aisle that you'll find me on much. There was a kids tent and it looked relatively easy to put together. Ha! When I got home I put the tent together, looked for all the Styrofoam in the house and garage, drop cloths and blankets. Once everything was assembled and in place, a few treats were thrown in front of and inside of the little tent. I could tell by the tent movement that at least one of the kittens had gone inside.

This morning Buddy and I were here in the living room and we both heard meowing in the side yard. There on the steps of the deck sat Mama Cat and Cali. Cali, who is too old to nurse was doing just that from an awkward position. Buddy was in that window with intense focus. Both the cats retreated underneath the deck and have moved up to near the tent. Haven't seen MJ or Camo this morning, but that is not unusual. I'll get out there and check on them in a bit. Buddy is sitting in the bay window keeping watch by morning.

Been reading an interesting article this morning that is also a book review for a book, Sacred Rest by Dr.Saundra Dalton-Smith. It is part of an Advent series by Margaret Feinberg, who happens to be one of my favorite authors. This sentence deserves attention, "Staying busy is easy. Staying well rested-now there's a challenge." Margaret writes about finding the holy hush in the everyday hustle today. The move here is all about that for me. This summer when Beth visited, she asked how the culture of life here and in Houston differ. The first thing that comes to mind is pace of life. Life doesn't feel so chaotic but that could change as more people move into the Asheville area. This year it seems there are more traffic reports of wrecks and crashes especially south of Asheville. I feel as if this summer into autumn into winter season this year has held many holy hush moments. Dr Young from his sermon on Sunday talked about solitude and hearing God. These days have held that for me as I chart and navigate this particular season of life. Dan Rockwell tweeted this morning, humility listens, arrogance talks. Kind of feel like it is a listening season, although I can talk with the best of them but I am learning that listening is the better choice.
****************************
Friday, yes, we had a snow day that has lasted all day and into the night. So far we have about ten inches of snow. Everything is crunchy and white. The lights reflecting off the snow is lovely this evening. I last heard before going to sleep that we should expect a dusting of snow and I awoke to pictures of friends in Houston making snowmen and enjoying the snow at 3:00 am. I got out of bed, turned to look out the front bedroom window and much to my surprise, we had snow on the ground. I have gone out in it several times and even tried to build a snowman, but dang...it is too cold! I cleared the bird feeder twice much to the delight of the birds and I put some food out for the Feral Fam.

We had a great time last night. An impromptu and last minute invitation for a pot luck supper happened last Sunday. Since I have decorated, we needed to enjoy this festive season a little more. The food was delicious! I bought chicken from Bojangles and biscuits too. We laughed and talked, really casually enjoying conversation and funny stories. It is the best kind of night! Brenda helped me get the kitchen all cleaned up and I was happy to head upstairs to release Buddy and to wind down and relax. I think I fell asleep the minute my head hit the pillows.

Just heard we might get six more inches of snow beginning early in the morning. Uh, no thank you. Glad I have leftovers from last night, taco soup and a few other goodies.

No comments: