Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Looking For The Rumble and The Tumble

It looks like the Feral Fam has moved on. Several friends told me the likelihood of them sticking around for only a week or two was very likely. The birds have retaken that corner of the yard and the squirrels have returned like the swallows to Capistrano with the Feral Fam's presence removed. I hope they have found warmer digs especially with the wind chill warning issued for tonight and I hope they come back to play. They have been such fun to watch and I have enjoyed feeding them and trying to provide them with a warm, non-threatening place. I'll keep their food around in case of a return and if not, I'll give it to an animal shelter. The recently developed habit of looking to that corner of the yard stays with me....looking for the rumble and tumble of calico and black and white.

The skies are turning to that cold steely gray hue because a cold front is moving through today with the snow showers dusting the area. I am keeping an eye on the sky. Thankful to have run errands and refill on supplies yesterday. The wind chimes have turned their tune up a notch with a northerly wind blowing down the mountain into our valley.

Today's "On This Day" on Facebook held a lot of great memories. Fun to look at those pics and think this was just five years ago...the Community Bible Study Leadership Christmas Party held at Peggy's home. Last year was my first outpatient rehab for my knees at Methodist Hospital-Katy. I remember that first day, how tough it was with a week off from professional therapy. Almost to the year anniversary, just a couple of days before, I experienced a first for me, not thought out and planned movement...it happened just as my brother told me last summer...one day you'll just make that move without all the thought and preparation into it. The realization came on a delayed reaction a little bit of time after the fact. There are so many milestones in any kind of recovery and too many times we just pass through those moments without more than a thought of...oh yes, that happened. We miss out on so many moments of celebration. You experience that in the work place too...work hard, goals are met, a few words spoken and onto the next thing. Over the past few years the thought of celebrating these little moments of life hangs around in my head. I have celebrated more little things than big things and just not pertaining to me but to family and friends. I need to be better about it though...cause like many blessings, we see them better in hindsight than in the present.

The past few days Roy and I have been looking at schedules and the like for 2018. Where did 2017 go? Some of our plans are up in the air and we won't be able to really do much scheduling until after the first of the year. We plan to build a covered, screened in back porch that much we know for sure. There might be a couple of trips in the works and we are hoping the procedure I need can be performed on a time that is compatible with Roy's schedule at the office.

I have hope that the Feral Fam is doing okay. I saw Mama Cat briefly as she scoured the area for any dry food on the ground. She looked inside the tent and then headed up to the neighbors farm above us. Makes me think the fam has moved onto higher and warmer ground. She didn't give me enough time to get out there with any food for her but it was good to see her because I haven't seen her in a couple of days.

The snow has started falling in this next storm moving through. The wind has picked up and we are in for a dilly dilly of a night. Just made a new batch of sugar free Russian tea. Have laundry to fold and good books to read. Oh and some good cookies. Think I'm ready.



No comments: