Thursday, December 21, 2017

But I Was Hangry...Well, That's My Excuse

I did something really, really, really stupid today. What is it about the Biltmore Village area that makes me crazy? Okay, yes the traffic is horrible and adding the Christmas rush and tourists to the mix....but, I did the really, really, really stupid thing of putting my feelings about Corner Kitchen on Twitter. Usually, it is all good but today...dang if that sense of entitlement or being discriminated against because I am a woman kicked in and I complained. Here is how it went...I promised Roy to park in the pay lot and to stay away from utility poles and I did that. I walked over to Corner Kitchen and I remembered oh yeah, it's the holiday season and they will be busier than ever. It wasn't even the magic rush of breakfast dining at 10:00 am. I waited a bit as the host was taking a reservation for Sunday, which didn't bother me at all. He picked up the menu, asked how many and of course I responded, one. Oh well, only available space was at the counter and I could clearly see tables open, so I asked what is the wait for a table and he responded fifteen minutes. So, I took the counter. I always mention to the host or hostess that I will eat quickly and not hold a table up. I hadn't even gotten off my jacket when he seats a man, he was the next person after me, at a table. The waiter at the counter asks how many to the host and host responds one...makes a face. Dang! What? I'm not even seated and you seat this man? Since I had the time and the opportunity, I did what I have never done before, complained about the service and used hashtags like, don't fib at Christmas and at least don't seat him where I can see it happen. I hit post. Corner Kitchen responded back explaining maybe he had a reservation or something...I think it wasn't likely that he had a reservation. Boom, it hit me, what I had done, being a total jerk. My response to them was an apology. I mean I wasn't trying to get a comp, wasn't pimping rudeness for attention, I was frustrated with other things and this just set me off. Later, I was telling Christine how I regretted my Tweet and wasn't liking myself too much at the present. Ugh! After the hair appointment I did a little more shopping and thankfully not so grouchy or feeling entitled to everything going the way I wanted it to.  Leaving the area, the traffic backed up and if you don't know what you're doing...tourists...you get in the wrong lane and think you can go straight into the Biltmore Estate. Some fine folks from Texas had us all backed up at the light and a car from Pennsylvania seemed to think the middle lane to make turns in was a regular lane of moving traffic. Thankfully, I had the good grace not to Tweet that out.

On the way home I made a quick stop at the grocery store, mainly for more cat food. As I was getting ready to put the cart up, a gentleman came up to me and said, let me take that back for you, I'm going that way....and then I stopped at the Post Office to pick up mail. Our post office closes for two hours at lunch time and I'm glad to live in an area where there is a generous allowance of time for the postal workers to have a decent lunch. The pace of life is slower, where we live traffic jams usually happen behind farm equipment. Even with a busier than usual grocery store, everyone was kind to one another in the aisles and we were wished a Merry Christmas at checkout.

So this morning I learned that my opinion doesn't need to be voiced when always displeased. Can I blame it on being hangry?

No comments: