Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Here and There....There and Here

This trip is winding down yet heightened activity these last few days. Really, there was more to this trip than just going to favorite restaurants. Spending time with Roy even in his busy days as he completes a project at the office before the year ends, seeing friends, experiencing Celebration, and going through things here at the house for Goodwill or for keeps has seemed like a whirlwind of three weeks. I did not account for several days I had to rearrange plans because of this upper respiratory thing that is hanging onto me. I do not want to bring it back home but it feels like it has plans to be home with us for the holidays. Last night, after coming home from dinner with friends, while sitting on the couch I heard a strange noise...almost a mechanical noise. It was everywhere I searched and I didn't want to awake Roy and then it dawned on me....the noise was coming from me. It is a part of the whole wheezing thing that is going on with this junk.

People ask if I have seen everyone I wanted to see or eaten everywhere I wanted to go and done everything I wanted to do...yes and no. I didn't get all my projects done, missed out on Los Tios and Fu's Garden, and Celebration and church helped me see those I wouldn't normally get to see. I don't know if I will come back during the holidays again. Schedules so tight and traffic, it is always a nightmare but with the holiday spirit, that doesn't seem to translate into the Christmas spirit on the road, it is challenging. Some of the places I normally like to go to while in town, I just didn't get there and really, have no remorse that I didn't make it to those places. Just like in the mountains though, I ordered online. 

Buddy has adjusted well and seems to be enjoying her time here. I hope it continues when we get back. I feel good to have had a real conversation with a vet about her and options for her future. It feels like we nearly lost her several times this summer, so I don't know what life we are on if cats truly have nine lives.

I felt like I over packed...in some ways I did, but I have worn almost everything I brought. With the temps fluctuating all over one had to be prepared for it all. I wore all the linen I brought and have had a few opportunities to wear flannel. A few new things are coming home with me, but there is an extra suitcase going back with us.

On Sunday my mind began that turn home and like always it is like a horse going back to the barn, the steps pick up. Hopefully the Sunday School lesson I've kind of worked on will fall into place on Sunday. Can't wait to return and see friends. I'll be happy to see the ferals.

I didn't need confirmation but it has been good to hear comments from friends, you look really good! You look like the mountains of NC is just what your health needed. As Roy says so often, NC saved your life.

Houston has changed so much since being here three years ago. Rancho de Five has all kinds of new buildings and roads. Yes, there is still a nail salon and Chinese restaurant on every corner. New grocery stores, easier access to freeways and of course a Buc-ees makes everything around here wonderful. So much has changed in me these past three years. A slower paced life in the country and stresses I felt or put on myself dissipate in the mountains but I felt them building up while being here. But I'm thankful for both the here and there and when I get home it will still be here and there. Thank you friends who took time out of your busy, hectic schedules to visit with me. I truly appreciate the time and laughter. Y'all made this time such a delightful treat. Thank you to my friends at home that let me know I am missed and are waiting for us to get back.

No comments: