Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Onward!

 The overcast, foggy morning is giving way to June sunshine and today, the temps seems to be a little lower than usual. Always welcomed, cool morning, bearable afternoons and cool evenings. We have been dead heading roses in the evenings cause bees and wasps aren't around them like in the morning. Slowly but surely the vitality of flowers is taking over and with the vibrant green of trees and the grass make a lovely view. The morning after rain, a favorite. 

On Saturday night I watched TCM and they showed Gilda Live. It was filmed on opening night of the stage production in New York City. I had forgotten some of the language but back in the day I don't think it bothered me as much as it should have and now, brain fog makes it more likely if I see or hear these words...what if they pop in. Wouldn't that be great on Sunday mornings. Gilda Radner was so talented beyond comedic abilities. Rosanne Roseannadana was my favorite but really so were Lisa Loopner and Emily Litella. She used subtle looks and expressions. She said things, gave the audience a few seconds to realize what she said and would erupt in laughter. Even her over the top rock star persona, Candy Slice, would have that subtle relevance to it. When the road crew drags her off the stage, they push her back up so she can grab her bottle of Jack Daniels and they drag her off the stage completely. The temptation to make a face or something is there toward the audience. In my love of comedy, Gilda ranks very high as does Lucy. Only right now since Roy said he has trouble watching I Love Lucy because knowing the truth of what was going on with Lucy and Desi, he was a serial cheater, causes those episodes of jealousy or anger, he can only imagine the hurt Lucy was going through. That hasn't stopped me from watching but it has made me look at things differently. I never realized until recently the over the top comedy, which is funny, happened not with subtilty but with her eyes, making them huge in a reaction and the distortion of her face. Yep, it really wasn't done until Lucy and she is a trail blazer even today for women comedians. Of course Ethyl couldn't be as funny as Lucy, it was in the contract but I love how in comedic moments she used her voice and body language to deliver some pretty humorous scenes without over shadowing Lucy. When I read about Lucy's last series being cancelled, she thought no one liked her anymore but the truth being, no one wanted to see an aging legend doing slapstick comedy with the likelihood of injuring herself. Although Gilda used slapstick for The Judy Miller Show and her gymnast routine, she didn't seem to do that later in life, although she died when she was 42. I love this quote in one of her journals found after her death;

,“And then I realized what comedy is: It’s hitting on the truth before the other guy thinks of it.” 

I was never a big fan of Milton Burel or Bob Hope, they were very predictable and totally scripted, especially Bob Hope. I appreciated the comedy writing of Laverne and Shirley. Used all the comedic devices. Witty dialogue, they did their own stunts and used funny and creative standard comedic entrances. So I went down a rabbit trial on comedy and comedians where originally I was thinking after watching Gilda Live, several lines now in hindsight, unfortunately became truth in her last year or so of life but this bunny trail was kind of fun for me to go down. 

**********

🎵All the trees are, all the trees are gone and the sky is gray...no really Carolina blue🎵 Well, after returning from our full morning into afternoon, we came home to all the trees across the road on the edge of the pasture, felled and in a pile. We knew it was coming, but it feels so deeply sad. They have marked a straight line in the lower part of the pasture and can be seen from upstairs with upended ground. We've mentally and emotionally prepared the last few years for this day and as we prepared for this day, we also began to focus more on the backyard as well as making flowerbeds that draw our eyes away from across the way. Several years ago, we looked into having a fence put in and we might do that in the near future. Nothing like a tall fence but one that more of less draws the eye downward into the yard. We shall see. 

Got blood work done yesterday morning and had a great conversation about Jeremiah with the tech. She saw my notes when I left them in her chair whilst going down the hall to provide a sample to bring back. Then, Roy and I headed over to Fireside Restaurant for breakfast. They have a mural on one of the walls and we sat right below the waterfalls. We had a delicious breakfast and in particular the pecan waffle is my favorite. A quick text to Audrey to see if she would be able to help us with picking out new frames for Roy and she was available. We made our way back toward Asheville, Audrey helped us tremendously with finding the right fit for Roy, and then he and I went over to Barnes and Noble. I am trying not to buy a lot of books, and yes, it is a difficult discipline but I did find the magazine I was looking for and a wall calendar for the kitchen. Roy talked me into going over to Sam's and it was a quick trip cause this girl was fading fast. Some days are really good energy wise and yesterday was a good day, but once we got home...it all hit. So thankful that Roy understands the energy and the drained energy of heart life and he takes care of me so well. 

I was saddened to learn that a store I liked has closed and the building is for sale. I hadn't visited since the pandemic shutdowns. Unusual pieces done by local artists. Several other places have closed as well and it surely is the ups and down of retail but also gathering back steam after being closed down for so long. 

The immediate plan was to vacuum but when The Boys are quiet, I like to keep that peace. Guess that means going upstairs and begin writing out the lesson. Trying different ways to have notes cause Jeremiah and my large notebook aren't quite the right partnership. Onward!  



No comments: