Thursday, June 8, 2023

Scattered, Sleep and Stuff

 Good Monday morning! Thankful for an ease into the morning kind of day. I kind of overslept and for that I am truly thankful. Roy and The Boys were especially quiet. 

A lady in our Sunday School class passed away last week after a long stint in a nursing home. She was youngish, in her 60s. All throughout the years I've known her she has been on the sickly side. Her service is tomorrow. 

I felt so mentally scattered yesterday while teaching the lesson. After the familiarity of John, Jeremiah was a dive into cold water...which I assume will warm up as the weeks go on. The very essence of Jeremiah is accepting the often difficult and hard call of a prophet to a nation who didn't want to hear a word he said. During study throughout the week several commentaries showed how if he continued on with the role of priest like his daddy and granddaddy before him, his life would have been easier but not fulfilling. So in that chapter we studied as Jeremiah is prepared by God and given the assurances that He will not leave him and He will watch over His Word, I was drawn in also by the almond branch. The first sign of spring in Israel, blooming usually in January that gives the hope of warmer weather and fruit and veggies. Here, our first sign of spring is daffodils and even some years you can photograph daffodils in snow. The first sign of spring, then tulips, plantings after Mother's Day. This year I wasn't going to plant sunflowers over in the side flowerbed but it is profusely growing lots of sunflowers along with four o'clocks and a few other wild flowers. In fact this morning, the first bloom of the season for sunflowers showed out. I came to love gardening late but so glad I came to it before it is too late. But of course, I digress, the almond branch showing out after the dormant months of winter. Living out life sometimes can feel like that, dormant...where's God? Then, the first bloom of spring gives us reason to know our dormant season is not forever. We had a guest in our class yesterday. She said she loved to discuss and get into theological issues. Maybe that's what knocked me a bit cause I am more of an applicable teacher. Thankfully, she made great comments and we didn't do a deep dive and beyond my pay grade. 

Looks like the Yancy Farmer's Market still has spring onions. How did we go so far in life not knowing about spring onions? Perfect size for hamburgers and not a real strong taste. For this we are thankful. 

*********

Roy has missed two nights of watering plants so he is out this morning watering his tomato and green pepper plants, oh and flowerbeds as well. He has his companion "helping" him, Fido the feral cat who acts like a dog. Roy even pointed out that Fido has the coloring of a husky and this cat doesn't mind water at all. He is beautiful or maybe should that be handsome. He is the second cat in the line of several and hope to be many that we've had fixed. Fido is letting Roy pick him up a little and that is so encouraging. 

While Roy was at deacon's meeting last night, I watched The Shiny People on Amazon Prime. So many are commenting on it and while not a Duggar fan nor a fan of Bill Gothard, IBLP, I remember oh so well friends who got involved with that ministry. I happened upon it in the mid-seventies while single but couldn't afford to attend the seminar. A friend let me borrow her sacred book, don't let anyone look at it who has not paid the price of admission. Once I looked at it I was never so happy not to be able to afford to attend. I had lived and still influenced by this kind of thinking and living with my father except there wasn't anything spiritual about his reign of terror. Although for awhile I thought we might have attended FBC Hammond IN when we lived there because somewhere my father had picked up a few things. Thankfully, in a baby book I found out we didn't attend that church when I was a toddler. The other thing I remember from that brief encounter was being told, I really wasn't the type for the movement...guess it had something to do with my always too much and too often, non filtered words and thoughts. I remember asking several friends who really got into the whole thing, using the umbrella example of authority, what and who protected from the "rain" that is sideways and the umbrella isn't any good. I don't know if I will be able to watch the last two episodes though. 

*********

Well another punt day so our plans for today will now happen next week. That is fine by me. The smoke from Canada is thick here and yesterday afternoon we could feel it in our eyes and throats. The mountains could not be seen in the distance. 

Our Sunday School class was represented well by class members for Kathy's memorial service. It was a nice service. 

I have loved that several grocery stores have been playing Tina Turner to remember her and her contributions of great music over the years. While I had stopped wearing stiletto heels, I still had several pair from joint venture auditor work. I would learn the choreography from watching the VCR recordings I had and then when I knew it by heart I challenged myself by doing some of that hard chorography on the bed. Soon had to give that up cause, it was dang hard to do. As I have watched tributes to her over the weeks, I noticed as she got older, she adjusted Proud Mary chorography to make it a tad easier. 

Part of the reason we changed plans for today is because I woke up at 3:30 am and could not go back to sleep. Got up and right about now I am feeling the effects of a shortened nights sleep. When I woke up I thought about the lesson this Sunday and probably was too afraid to go back to sleep cause I would forget the point. Doesn't matter cause I forgot it even being awake.   



No comments: