Sunday, June 11, 2023

People Watching and Cats Too

 I am tired after a full and busy day. When we left the house this morning, a big excavator was sitting close to the road in the pasture across the way. It has been feeling like they are getting close to developing the land across the way. When we got home this afternoon, they had dug up some trees and look to be in the process of making a road opening off the small dirt/gravel road across the way. Right now our trees cover the area where the work has started. 

On the way over to TN, we stopped in Marshall at the tag office. I usually know not to go on Friday but we thought we would be early enough, but everyone else had the same idea and most of those who had business with the tag office had complicated paperwork, titles and all that kind of stuff, not just getting their tags for the license plate. One must amuse oneself when there is a long line. So I played the game of who in this line is not from here? One or two men in line stood out as, not from around here. Mostly men with long white beards, Harley t-shirts, bib overalls and a few in mechanic uniforms and I was feeling quite good by wearing my support Appalachian farmers t-shirt. One in particular with the impatience of a two year old, could not stand still keeping up with who might or might not be cutting in line. One man in particular who had come in and stood by us, at the end of the line was called forward for some special attention. Impatient man could not stand it and he yells out to the front, hey I was here before him! What is going on here. The tag lady explained he had been the first customer of the day and had to return with an official document, so she was taking care of him first. He calmed down a bit but the need to stand in the middle of the room took over his mind and to amuse himself while waiting, he began to do yoga. I knew right then and there, he wasn't native. The other men who looked and were from the area just stared at him as he did butt clenches in between his yoga poses. We all kept our giggles to ourselves but we were all looking at him and then looked at each other making eye movements like, what in the Sam Hill is going on with this guy. Roy was oblivious because he was all involved in market watching and the stock market on his phone. Finally, it was yoga mans turn. He talked loudly and authoritative concerning his antique car blah, blah blah...The man next to me whispered do you think he was trying to fart when he was squeezing his butt like that? I hadn't a clue and there had been no odor that took over the room. Whatever business he had come to take care of would not be done cause the Asheville office had put his paperwork on a shelf, then probably forgot about it. He was trying to tell the tag lady what to say and what to do as she called them on the phone, she looked at him and said, they'll hang up on me if I do that. She added I would do the same to them. She assured him he was on the top of her list to get this for him, asked his phone number and his one last grasp at finding some favor in this little bitty office, in a small town in the middle of rural Western North Carolina, he told her he trusted her and had faith in her more so than that Asheville office. She gave him a look and said move on, I'll call you. Once we had finished with getting our renewal and got back to the truck, I asked Roy to look up the area code he had said with his phone number. I had narrowed my guess to California and New York, but was heavily leaning on New York. Bingo! I guessed right. Roy then said, what was he doing with his butt? I didn't even think he noticed with his face deeply entrenched on his phone screen. Butt crunches, with a yoga move is my guess. Roy said, I thought he was trying to pass gas and there he was standing in the middle of the room! 

***************

While Roy was with some of the guys from church playing gin rummy last night, I did a few chores, very few and then spent a lot of time outside in the cool of the evening. I watered a few plants as well as watering the truck. I saw a kitten climb up in the area under the hood. So a couple shots of water to discourage such adventure was administrated. Yesterday morning, there wasn't hide nor hair of the kittens. While concerning cause there are predators from the sky and dangers on the gravel road above us, we left for most of the day thinking we would return to see them all. Came home and just a few were hanging around but last night I discovered the new playground. Our ornamental cherries provide coolness and a protected area of play. Trees to climb and a great place to nap. We put a mesh covered pet bed out there. The older cats love it and now too the young ones. 

The Boys have finally settled a bit. Rambunctious and playful, eat breakfast, try to eat my breakfast, groom and take the first nap of the morning. Been a bit reflective on Mr Mo this week. It has been a year since we brought him into the house. Mama Cat had taken a swipe at him and her nail connected with his lower lip. Got him fixed up and fixed in that appointment with the vet. He doesn't have a loud purr but it sure is sweet when he can get a good, almost silent purr going. This morning he spent a lot of time on my lap. 

The side flowerbed is filled with sunflowers and perennial wildflowers, along with some roses and azaleas. Although I didn't envision the flowerbed filled with sunflowers this year, that is what reseeding and birds do. But my goal of that whole bed being filled with flowers is now after all these years coming into being. On a much smaller scale I've wanted to recreate the field between my Grandma B and her best friend's house. At least the feeling of it. The added blackberry bushes adds to the story. 

*********

I should get this finished up. Roy just left for a meeting at church. The Boys and I took a nap this afternoon until someone started playing and it was not me. They were all banished so I could finish up my nap. 

Two weeks into Jeremiah and I'll have to say it is challenging. We looked at the first thirteen verses of chapter 2. So much there so little time and sometimes a lot of prep but not feeling like I got a point made. I think I did make some points today though, especially about the living streams of water verses making broken cisterns. I am thankful for a class that bears with me when trying to get my bearings in a new study. 

Bloodwork this week and with the news that Strawberry Hill now has their peaches, we might have to make the journey to the Upstate. The peaches that we've bought at TJs have been so good. 


No comments: