Thursday, October 28, 2010

Michael's, Hobby Lobboy, Sound of Music on Oprah. What's Happening? Who am I?

If it's Thursday it is Bible study day in Katy. After Bible study Peggy and I went to lunch. I thought the new Lupe Tortilla had opened but alas we have a couple more weeks of waiting for that grand and glorious day. So Peggy suggested we head over to El Rancho and so we did. It just so happened that El Rancho is next door to....Hobby Lobby. So as we visited and ate our delicious lunch, I pondered how to bring up the subject to Peggy that I would like to go to Hobby Lobby. I finally worked up the courage to ask if she was in a rush to leave after we ate and then presented Hobby Lobby to her complete with documentation. Of course we sanguines, if any thing is made to be fun, we are so there. We both had the deer in the headlight look and when I asked the clerk where the scrapbook stuff was, she looked at us like, are y'all daft? Yes, yes we are. Anyway, the scrapbook junk is behind the cake decorating junk which is halfway back in the store. We had a lot of stuff to divert our ADD attention. Wow, there were several rows of all kinds of stuff. Peggy lamented that she found basketball stickers now that she is retired that she could have used when she was coaching. While we were overwhelmed with all the creative crafting opportunities, we remembered crafts from our past. There was the applique period where collars were decorated and then put on over white shirts. Now there is a look that never needs to come back. Then there was spin art, painting t shirts, and making t-shirts out of some kind of jersey that only took two seams. The 70's, may that decade rest in peace.



Our approach to the sacred craft place. Notice the golden rays of sunlight bathing the building in all their glory. It was kind of like the star of Bethlehem guiding us, the two wise women.
We passed up the baskets but never pass up an opportunity to have fun with wreaths. I wish you could see the lady that is to the left, just outside the vast range of my camera phone. You would have thought we had desecrated the Holy of Holies by the look on her face.

Where do I begin? How does one stop? Where in the world is everything? Fun with raffia? Just call me a Raffiaferian.


The sadness of just now locating volleyball stickers that she could have used to encourage the Episcopalians she coached this year. One set of those stickers would have probably meant one more win for the Wolves.



We have always depended on the kindness of strangers. We asked one of our fellow crafters (you know when in Rome), to take our picture. We should have posed with some of my purchases which happened to be 50% off.




We are thinking of adding this to our boat load of talent. Cake decorating with Peggy and Nancy... Would you attend? Several years ago we entered a cake in a Valentine's cake baking contest and we won. Our cake was made in the shape of a real heart and we used Twizzlers and other candy to make the aorta. We wrote on the top of the cake, I Aorta Love You, But I Don't.





We captured a picture of us saying goodbye to the Hobby Lobby. We noted we could be there at 9:00 am if we wanted to...but most days and I am only speaking for myself, but this probably applies to Peggy, I just might still be asleep.
Yes, I would have lost hope if I hadn't believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Believe me, that step outside the store and with that first breath of fresh air, we knew we had returned to the land of the living because we were so out of place in there. But we had fun! I got 50% off!


Wouldn't you know it, all the major cast member of the Sound of Music were on Oprah today...and I watched it. Why? I have no clue. I don't even really like the Sound of Music (the movie not the actual sound of music). I texted Peggy to let her know it was on but the cable was out at her home. I asked her, who am I becoming? Craft store and Sound of Music? The only remedy to all this strangeness happening in my life today, I made a quick trip to The Nord to bring my world back into rotation.



4 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh my word! We must see the heart cake. So funny!

Sally said...

LOL - I aorta love you!! hahahaha Thanks for a good laugh this morning, and my first visit here. :)

Ali said...

I would so come to a cake decorating demo by you and Peggy. You know I would. Just tell me when and I'll book a flight right on over there.....

martyh said...

You could make a spam cake - yuck! It would be fun though to see you two in action!