Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pipes, Plants, Bon Voyage and Bible Study

The past two nights have been awfully cold.  I think we have had lows into the upper twenties.  Since we have been condo bound for nearly 17 years, we have somewhat forgotten the drill of taking care of pipes and plants.  It wasn't cold enough to worry about the pipes but plants needed a lot of focused attention.  So all the geraniums are in the garage.  I thought maybe I should cover the roses but it being cold, late, me in pajamas and Roy coming in late from Celebration practice, I just prayed that the Lord would put a hedge of protection around our roses, small plants and well, our hedges.   Roy brought in the bougainvillea from the back patio.  Wish I could put it out front but it is not an approved plant by our HOA.  The other night I was awakened by a noise.  At first I thought Buddy was into something but she was asleep at the end of the bed.  Roy was so groggy from late night practices and full days at the office, he was of no help.  He wished me bon voyage and let me go exploring a darkened house.  Nothing looked a miss, but as I returned to bed I remembered when we first moved to the condo.  We brought a big fern with us that had been outside on the patio.  Roy was in law school, so he wasn't home when I watched a big, BIG, frog dig out of the dirt of that plant and jump into the middle of our living room.  I called Cynthia C and offered her $50.00 to come and get this frog for me.  She didn't like frogs either.  I called Peggy and she told me to get a baggie and pick the frog up with it, turn the baggie inside out when I had retrieved the frog for easy disposal outside.  That would mean an elevator ride with me screaming the whole time.  I'm sure that would have gone over well.  Really, you can still feel frog squishiness through a baggie.  So I did the only sane thing, trapped it under the couch and waited for Roy to get home.  So as I laid or lied down last night I'm thinking, what if that was a frog or even something worse that made that noise.  We have seen no evidence of an unwanted intruder from the illegal plant since the other night.  The next morning Roy tells me he had this dream, something about a noise and I went to check on it.  Ah, sweetie, that was real life.  So he offers this info, the noise was probably the heater.  Where did he come up with that?  This heater doesn't make any noise you can actually hear unless you are in the hallway by the laundry room. 

It is rather interesting to have your husband come home with a better make up make over than you.  He has help with his eye liner and foundation.  .  I also asked him to get hints from the make up people on creating the smokey eye look since I continually fail at achieving that make up phenomena.  I told him he should man up and put on his own mascara.  You can control your blinking that way and not end up with the wand in your eye.  Bless his heart, he has been using old towels to take off his make up.  I wonder if he ever wonders why I don't use old towels to remove mine.  Well for one, I use a make up remover product and tissues.  I offered my remover to him, but he's no wimp, he is scrubbing it off with elbow grease and soap.  Guess you have to be a little manly if one is removing stage make up. 

Today was our last Bible study in Revelation until next year. We are stopping right in the middle of chapter 12.  This year we have a 4 week break and they are encouraging us to do our homework this week and not wait until the last minute.  I say, why change when the last minute system has been working well for me this year.  There are so many details of importance, I don't want to forget anything before our discussion time.  It was large group brunch day too.  It was a veritable potluck potpourri.  Everything I sampled was really good.  Our core group discussion time was awesome.  There are about 15 of us in our group.  We were in the midst of discussing spiritual warfare, when a knock on the door sounded and the assistant director came in.  We were late!  And to add more embarrassment to being late, we were meeting in the fellowship room and our group table was right in the middle.  So it wasn't as easy as sneaking into the sanctuary for lecture time.  We came in while everyone was singing Silent Night.  If we had candles we could have looked like we were part of the program and process into the room, holding forth the light.  So we all hurriedly made our way to a table that seats 8 and crammed 15 people around it. 

I watched the season premiere of Toddlers and Tiaras.  Wow, seriously some of the strangest parents ever to grace and I use that term reluctantly, the show.  I miss Mackenzie.  Of course I will be watching next week.  It's the train wreck you can't stop watching.  Dance Moms returns in January.  So my quota of bad TV will be full. 

Our catalog deliveries have decreased significantly this year.  Even Pottery Barn doesn't seem to send out as many.  It's been nice not having a mailbox stuffed full of them. 

Buddy is bugging me to play go fish with her.  Such a mournful cry. 

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

When I dropped EmmyKate off at school this morning, one of the Kindergarteners was looking extra pretty. I had to do a double take because she had make-up on and her hair curled in ringlets. Her mom was taking her picture and it made me think of your Toddlers and Tiaras show. What mom puts makeup on their Kindergartener and sends her off to school?!