Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Social Yet Nerdy Post That Might Include a Mouse

Already Wednesday, where has the week gone?  My to do list is getting a little bit shorter by the day but the pace has been rather slow.  So this is what's been going on.  Saturday night I picked up Dena and we ate dinner and went to see Celebration at Houston's First Baptist Church.  Dang, it was an awesome production and experience.  There wasn't one time in the show where I thought, "come on, speed this up a little."  The spirit, the songs and the story were so moving.  Think this is Roy's ninth year to participate in Celebration.  He wisely took himself out of the first act since dancing and moving to music is not in his natural or even in his spiritual giftings.  He does great in the biblical portion.  We hung around afterwards and we caught up with Roy and then with Peggy.  Since most of the traffic had died down we had an easy egress from the parking lot.  To further celebrate the season, we made a MUST stop at Chicky to get a chocolate peppermint milkshake.  Then we headed over to River Oaks to make a yearly visit to scary angel.  She looks a little different this year, maybe not so morose and the wreath she is holding doesn't look like some kind of sacrifice or dead thing in her hands. 

Sunday morning of course was church and since Roy had Celebration shows, I met my dad at Los Tios for lunch.  We headed back over to the house and he and I went through lots and lots of my mom's costume jewelery.  Her most prolific jewelery buying must have been in the 80's cause we found a whole lot of that.  In between the junk and the outdated were some really nice pieces...most of them gifts from Roy and me, but also some things she had held onto since being a young married.  We had great moments of laughter but there were moments of tears.  Especially when we came across something that my mom had worn a lot. 

Monday night was Katy Bunco Christmas dinner and gift exchange.  It was a whole lot of fun.

Tuesday I went to a brunch hosted by tennis friends.  I really liked how they planned it.  They invited friends from all areas of their lives.  So there were tennis friends, bridge friends, traveling buddies, neighborhood friends and work friends.  Everyone was so nice and easy to meet and talk with.  Sometimes mixing of friends not unlike food groups, is an iffy proposition.  Since the brunch was at the Lakes of Eldridge Parkway, I decided to take the back way.  I took Westheimer Parkway through George Bush park and landed on Highway 6.  It was a pleasant little drive.  After brunch, I came home and crashed.  I was exhausted from all the activities.  This creature didn't stir too far from the couch either last night. 

Speaking of creature, I might have an overactive imagination, but I keep thinking I hear sounds that I haven't heard before.  Of course with all the noise going on behind us as new homes are being built, it would never dawn on me that the noise I hear could be from that sometimes.  This morning Buddy and I both woke to the same sound coming from the other side of the bedroom...a popping kind of noise.  Then today while eating lunch I heard a sound like someone or someTHING running into something.  I thought it was Buddy, but I checked and she was fast asleep on the bed.  I thought I saw one of the Roman shades moving just a bit.  So being the brave one that I am, I went outside to look into that window.  Didn't see anything.  Buddy's food has been messed with and the bowl of M&M's hadn't been disturbed.  Just on the safe side, I put the M&M's up as not to tempt anyone or anything.  You know tis the season for creatures to kind someplace warm but my goodness, it is 74 degrees today.  It is cooler in the house than outdoors...so get outta my house. (that is if there is some kind of small furry creature stirring, you know like a mouse)

Being the book nerd that I am, I am reading a fascinating book on historical markers in the state of Texas.  Not your Alamo or battle of Gonzales type but obscure, no one knows who these people and places are...that is until you read the marker.  I have had a hard time putting the book down.  I like the concept of how the story is told before they reveal where the marker is located.  Yes, I know, I'm a nerd. 

No comments: