Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It Feels Good to Laugh....

Roy is on his way home from the car dealership.  His car is finally repaired.  He had a minor accident on October 25.  We never thought it would take over 30 days for it to be taken care of.  I have busied myself with Christmas lights.  Definitely, we are going the outsource route next year.  Last year after Christmas we stopped at an Ace Hardware store and got great deals on Christmas lights and decorations.  Tonight I was just trying to put the snowflakes in the trees.  I shouldn't be doing this kind of stuff because my balance has never returned after all my health issues.  It is depressing because my mind thinks I can still do all this kind of stuff and my body resists.  I kind of hung onto the shrubs for balance. Oh yes, those little bitty limbs would keep me upright and sustain me.  I've rethought this whole snowflake thing.  Really, the tacky decorations across the street include these type of snowflakes and I am trying to go for a more tasteful look.  Well, at least I am trying.  One of the set of snowflakes has a short or something.  It won't turn off.  They are battery operated and kind of tedious to open the battery box, so I'll let it burn itself out. 

After leadership meeting today I headed over to Target to get an outdoor extension cord for the lit trees by our front door.  Of course I found all kinds of stuff that really needed to come home with me.  I went into Home Goods and looked around.  I saw some cute things but the line to check out was so very long, that I decided to go back one day this week much earlier in the day.  The parking lot was a zoo and holiday tempers are already showing themselves.  It has been my practice to swear off visiting Target between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Let me share with you the discovery of peppermint white chocolate M&M's.  They are addictive...they are candy crack.  We took a bag with us on our trip and we really had to practice portion control. 

It is now Wednesday and Christmas decorating is almost complete.  I have storage tubs to go through to decide what I want to put out and what to put away.  It is always fun to put out and drudgery to put away.  Roy promised me we would get a storage unit this year and not have to do the attic thing again.  

This morning I had somewhat of a scare, no it wasn't my reflection in the mirror.  I'm kind of over that as I gracefully age...uh hum...anyway, I couldn't find the little gifts I had brought back for my core group and I had this sinking feeling that when I was throwing away Biltmore bags, I had accidentally thrown them away.  My other little panic had to do with our coupon thing to send in for our first house payment to the new lender.  Roy had given it to me yesterday but I couldn't for the life of me remember where I put it.  These situations weren't worth the anxiety.  Happy, happy. happy (salute to Duck Dynasty) I found both a little bit after praying.  I read an article on how we can sleep walk throughout the day and I find myself in that position a lot and have to be very determined to keep present in each and every moment.

Roy and I realized on our trip home we could have done a reality TV tour of all the shows we love to watch.  We could have stopped in Houma, LA for Cajun Justice, Alexandria for Cajun Pawn Stars, Swamp People in Butte La Rose and Duck Dynasty in West Monroe.  It was a dilemma when we were on I 20 if we would make that southern turn to 55 or would we stay on 20?  We made the 55 south turn but we were tempted. 

Roy got home safely with his  repaired car.  Think he is a happy camper.  He loved driving the Jeep Patriot but not so much the Sonata.  I think Roy regretted his promise of helping me move some furniture last night.  Since moving a heavy chair up some stairs with my crazy friend Debbie and her mother, I am useless when it comes to moving furniture.  I start laughing and can't seem to stop.  So last night when we were rearranging some tables and we were carrying the heaviest one, the laughing bug was all over me.  When Roy carries something heavy he makes these little bitty side steps and it cracks me up every time.  He knows when I start that wheezing kind of laughing it's because of those funny little steps.  If that chest was going to be moved 3 more feet I had to suck it up and not look at him but dang it, he looks so funny.  I thought maybe some of those dance steps for Celebration had finally kicked in for him.   It does seem like I find something to laugh at or with everyday...one of my least favorite statements to hear is when someone solemnly and probably guiltily says, "sometimes it feels good to laugh."  Heck yea, it's biblical.  Most people who say this are hopelessly lost in the sad and pessimistic outlook on life.  And here is another thing that comes with that outlook, almost always to a T most of these people will tell you they have the gift of discernment.  Well, the gift is actually discerning of spirits but why be biblical?  One time I heard Beth Moore say if someone says they have the gift of discernment and they never discern anything good or positive, they actually have the gift of judgement.  The gift of judgement is not biblical.

These Christmas decorations aren't going to get in the house on their own, so I better finish up now.  I thought it might be difficult to go through everything because so much of my Christmas decorations are from my mom.  She made me a bunch of fabric wreaths and ornaments.  She brought me home an ornament from every trip she went on.  Have lots and lots of Branson ornaments because she and my dad would go there twice a year.  And now thinking about it all, we are no different in that we go to the Biltmore once or twice a year...but as a friend said, our choice is much better.  It hasn't been difficult at all because I remember her love of Christmas.  She put the tree up earlier and earlier over the years because she loved to sit in their dimmed family room and watch all the brilliant lights twinkle.  She made beautiful Christmas stockings and she was ahead of her time.  When we were little and money was hard to come by, she bought pipe cleaners, felt and little Styrofoam balls to make elves.  They sat on the built in shelves in the den.  So we had early elves on the shelf. 

No comments: