Monday, October 22, 2018

Craft Shows and A Winter Blast

Just exactly as predicted for this year, we've enjoyed a few days of fallish type temps but this weekend we will have an invitational blast of winter. Frost warnings, so I'll need to roll in some of the flowers on the deck tomorrow.

The past two days has held adventures and fun. A group of us from church went to Shatley Springs in Ashe County for lunch yesterday. Delicious food and the scenery was fabulous as the leaves are just now turning. All the fallish hues and colors are about two weeks behind this year because of longer days of summer temps and rain. We also went to the cheese factory store in West Jefferson and had a good time looking at all their products as well as other accompaniments. Our time together was marvelous. I came home rather tired and just had a snack for supper, then it wasn't too much later I hit the bed for the night because this morning was an early call. Last year when my friend Beth was here we went to the Amish Store's craft show. It was more miss than hit and the parking was horrible, exiting was worse. They made vast improvements this year, better parking and exits and better vendors. Found some wonderful items and did a little early Christmas shopping. This year Brenda and I went. We were able to eat lunch at the Farmer's Daughter without waiting for a table. We ate pretty quickly so we could free up the table for others waiting. The restaurant ran out of pagers and there were a whole lot of people waiting with a two hour delay. They would be good and hungry that's for sure. We saw a lot of patches of red leaves making their way into the world on the mountains and on our way to the craft fair we had such fog laying beauty upon and in between the mountains, that I was able to pull over to a scenic overlook and catch a little bit of that beautiful sight.
************************
It is a Saturday in transition. The day began with a bit of rain and now the overcast skies have given way to abundant sunshine. The winds are picking up a bit and by this evening we will feel the cooler, maybe even colder temps. The temps will be cold but not pipe freezing cold, nonetheless I put the covers over the faucets this afternoon because basically the growing season will be finished this weekend. So no more watering the plants out in the front yard. I'm waiting for the sunflowers to completely dry out so I can store them and use their seeds for next years crop. I also finished the tent of napping. The sleeping bag is in there and all arranged with a blanket on top. It feels really warm in the tent. Riley has been using it but the sleeping bag kind of threw him off a bit but he will get used to it.

Brenda and I stopped at a produce stand that has the prettiest pumpkins. When Lora and I stopped there several weeks ago we were in the convertible and loading some bales of straw into it would have been a huge mess. So yesterday, I loaded those two big square bales by myself. Dang, those are heavy. Then when I got home I unloaded them onto the deck. I came up with an easier method with the second one. They had some small bumpy pumpkins and whose name escapes me and added it to the outdoor collection.

Okay, this post has gone on long enough.... As my friend Dena says, more later.




No comments: