Thursday, October 11, 2018

Nonetheless, Blessed Be The Name of the Lord

Buddy and I slept till 8:30 this morning, although she couldn't settle down until 1:00 am, so it was mainly regular sleep hours only extended. She's a tad lethargic this morning and that has postponed plans of washing sheets because of course, she has chosen that spot as her morning napping place, on the bed. By now she is usually across the hall or on the porch. The porch has been shut down due to rain, although it isn't raining anymore but tell that to a lethargic cat. She mainly wants treats, and truthfully, who doesn't? So, there is her mad dash to the kitchen to get treats when she sees that I will be taking the stairs, so she's not that lethargic...selective lethargic. Kind of like selective hearing is practiced by husbands.

With a rainy overcast day ahead and most probably that will continue into tomorrow morning, it feels like a reading day. But those pesky chores and responsibilities will have to be taken care of first. The kiddos got fed a little later this morning and Cali spent a good deal of time in the garage with me. This gives me hope we will be able to gather she and Riley and the kittens when their reveal time comes, and get them fixed and then release them back outdoors. Mama Cat last year thwarted capture, she was one smart cookie. The chance to get Camo is really low. She has never come close or stayed around when the food is served.

 “My favorite journey is looking out the window.” -Edward Gorey

Just saw this quote on Twitter from Visit Bryson City. It has been some time but it would be good to visit Bryson City again. When we were tourists it was a regular stop on our way toward Asheville. Love The Charles Heath Gallery!

Well, several hours have gone by since writing about Bryson City and while sitting here, the view out the window here is a view with differing views. To the east dark, shelf clouds with rain, over to the west semi clear skies, to the north overcast gray skies and to the south, the view is showing the sky clearing. Truly, it is a favorite journey.

I cannot help but stop and pray when I see all the devastation happening in Florida from Hurricane Michael. It is almost too much to take in. Because I am from Houston and because preparation is not too far of a thought away even here in the mountains, I felt that maybe I was being a little caviler not preparing for the winds that are supposed to come beginning sometime in the middle of the night. Rain doesn't seem to be a huge concern here and probably the worse of the wind will be along the Blue Ridge Escarpment. But since both the truck and the car were close to empty I decided to get out and fill up first the truck and then make a quick stop at Walmart. They are the only place around here that carries the popcorn I like. So got a couple of bags of popcorn and a few other things and came to the front to check out. I had been in a regular line but going against common sense, I went to the express line. MISTAKE! The line looked shorter, but that is the deceiving way of the express line. The woman in front of me, with a little baby in the basket was buying a Mountain Dew and ciggies. She wanted to write a check and get $20.00 back...the clerk put it through three times and all three times Walmart wasn't going to accept the check. Then a discussion ensued with the manager or someone with a key and it was all civil. I didn't mind the wait cause these things happen and I didn't have to worry about any cold items melting. If that lady was buying food or food for the baby, y'all I would have paid for it and it occurred that maybe I should just give her the $7.00 to get her stuff. The irony was, the machine had trouble with our Am Ex card. I could feel the ire of the people behind me but it was a machine malfunction and it righted itself rather quickly. So I make this semi-vow not to go to the Walmart after 1:00 pm during the school year when moms are trying to get last minute shopping done and when time seems shorter for almost everyone in the store.
*********************
Thursday morning, we have received nearly 4 inches of rain since last night. We got about a 1/2 inch yesterday. The weather reporters didn't think we would receive lots of rain but more likely this would be a wind event. The usual places that flood are flooding and the usual places that receive a lot of rain have had that happen, lots of rain. There was a brief respite from the percip so I made a quick brunch run for the kiddos and noticed the sun trying to burn through the clouds and the mist. It is still overcast though. Last night the rain awoke me because it was coming down hard and thankfully the relaxing melody of rain hitting a metal roof and Buddy having settled early in the evening let this child go right back to sleep.

In earnest today I am putting away summer things and getting out fall and winter apparel. I cannot find my four favorite flannel shirts and I wonder if they didn't accidentally go the way of Salvation Army or church. I have searched every nook and cranny, no shirts. Have just a couple more places that I might have put them but most likely someone else will be enjoying those shirts this year. Oh well, the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away and Nancy is ADD and doesn't remember what she did with them...nonetheless, blessed be the name of the Lord.

No comments: