Thursday, October 11, 2007

Democracy in Action...and some other stuff too

If you are a tax payer in Harris County, I would like to tell you the $6.00 worth of service you got from my time of jury duty, I read my book club book on your time. This was a long day, longer than most serve if not picked for a jury. It was interesting though and I thought you all might get some of my observations. This is what I learned.
  • you don't have to be early or even on time to the jury room. They run the same set of instructions and take up the papers three times. I noticed that people who showed up at the same time as me waited for the last pass to turn theirs in. I thought maybe there is something to this and they think they won't get picked for a panel. That did not seem to make any difference.
  • the lady, who I will add didn't know how to use her inside voice or what I like to call her SPA voice, sitting behind me who had an opinion on everything and everyone was totally annoying and so wrong. She became best friends who ever sat near her. Many moved. Guess they were not looking for a new best friend.
  • when the judge says be back in 50 minutes, he means it. Juror 55 did not heed those instructions and while things continued on, a bailiff was sent looking for our little lost juror. She found him and she wasn't a very happy camper about the whole thing. Once the jury was seated and the rest of us were dismissed, the judge said, but not juror 55. He will be staying for a while.
  • your leadership skills or lack there of show in navigating the criminal court house. There was one woman in particular that would have not made it if this had been a competition today. My prayer was we wouldn't serve on a jury together. I could see her holding up the whole judicial process. You are only as strong as your slowest person.
  • not everyone in the cafeteria are bored killing time jurors. The table right in front of me had a couple, he was nicely dressed meeting with their attorney or soon to be attorney. They were going over all the charges and the lawyer tells the guy, this is going to cost you $3000.00 for me to represent you or you can be left in the hand of a court appointed attorney. A little later, I rode in the elevator with this same couple, only now the shirt was off and a gray tank top was the attire. Tattoos everywhere on this guy and I am thinking, oh my, I am riding in an elevator with a criminal, his woman and posse. I didn't feel all that safe at the moment.
  • most court appointed and criminal defense attorneys sport beards. It seems to be an older man's profession. This is not a true observation of the whole criminal attorney team, but it was so today.
  • lots of deals are cut in the hall, with no privacy. Interesting to see the justice system work that way.

The whole time we listened to the attorneys, I hoped my working at a church and Roy being an attorney would buy me my freedom from being on the jury. You fill out this information on the form. I called Roy on one of our numerous breaks and told him I would not make eye contact with either attorney and choose my bored face to be my mask of the day. Would this help me not get picked? He didn't know and I held out my fist lamented, "drat you, you letter/contract writing attorney!"

What helped me get through a lot of my down time, other than my book, was texting with Lisa P. She had me laughing and thoroughly entertained. She was asking me about fall and winter shoes and if I had bought any boots or booties. Nope, not yet. She texts back, well maybe you can take that $6.00 you've earned today over to Macy's and buy yourself a pair. That my friend is a friend. A BFF friend... who even texted the words for Friends are Friends Forever to me. One who keeps you company while wishing you were somewhere else, even work. Really, there are two set of prisoners in the building, jurors and people on trial.

Now, this has nothing to do with the above, but wanted to tell you about this. Yesterday at lunch I had an appointment to get my brows done at the Anastasia Salon in The Nord. Charles did my brows and then asked if I would like the area around my lips waxed. Of course, my first thought was of CourtneyS and her fear of getting a mustache when she is older. So, I said yes, please. I am clean and smooth around my lips. I am glad I have a high tolerance to pain cause I found it to be a tad painful. When I got The Nord, I ran up to the Bistro for a quick bowl of soup. As I was wolfing it down, Missy from the OKC was there. She and her friend who fly in for Tuesday Night Bible study were waiting for their 1:30 massages at The Nord Spa. I wish I could have had a leisurely lunch with them, but I was doing all of this during lunch. Then I had some family business to take care of before returning to work. Back to Charles, the brow guy. He was very cute and rugged looking for a brow man in The Nord. I am just saying, instead of closing my eyes, I watched him. Of course he was very blurry cause I didn't have on my glasses. I made a Dec appointment so that I will have great brows and be clean shaven for all the Christmas celebrations.

One another thing, if you have not had a Honey Crisp apple, get to your store and buy one. They are awesome and so crisp. They cost a little more than regular apples, but you will be glad you tried one.

Did you feel it this morning? Less humidity and fall like temps this morning at 7:00 am. It is right nice outside this afternoon. I should have put the top down and driven home basking in the sunshine and being thankful for freedom. I am making Tortilla soup this weekend. I think all our autumnal offerings are finally paying off. Thanks to all who made the sacrifice from cooking, to sock wearing, to the non shaving of legs...and just plain old denial... it is feeling a little frisky fallish out there.

3 comments:

The Synnott's said...

no fun for jury duty!!!

but yeah.... fall is here! i wore long sleeves and am ready for fall food finally!

Lauren said...

Hi Nancy Mon! Thanks for lurking on my blog, and thanks even more for leaving a comment. :) I thought I'd return the favor.

I just have to say that I would have been mortified to be juror 55.

And you really must try the pumpkin dip. Especially since you are now apparently enjoying one of those 4 fall days in Houston.

Anonymous said...

Jury Duty! I shudder when I see that envelope. But I love to people watch, because really, what else is there to do? And no wonder no one wants to serve on a jury the way they boss you around, intimidate you, etc. I think that Juror 55 was with my group also, except we were out in the hall when the person got rebuked! I'm just not too sure that $6 is really worth it!

And fall. . .sat out at football game and almost needed a jacket! It was great!

LMS