Thursday, October 18, 2007

Signs of the Times

It was the first thing I noticed when I pulled into my parking spot last night. My little tree had been cut down. It was doing so good and had sprouted so many green leaves. I anticipated being able to watch those leaves turn from green to fall colors, but little tree didn't make it. So now, I will begin my watch for it to begin growing to the surface again. That little tree pictures hope and brings me such great joy when it pushes through the ground and under the fence to find life giving light.

I didn't get home until 9:30 last night. I take the minutes for the Committee on Committees and October and November meetings always go long. Afterwards one of the committee members who hasn't been able to attend due to work obligations out of town, began asking questions of how things work and the criteria for committees. Thus, I am going in later this morning. It is tough winding down in the evening after a full day of work. Since I knew it would be a very long day, I ran errands at lunch. Made it over to Target to pick up a few things I needed and then a whole lot that I didn't even know I needed. Right now the dollar section of Target rules!

On Sunday I read in the paper about SPRING fashions. The article is on the trends for the spring. It ain't right to do me this way Houston Chronicle and fashion designers of the world. We haven't even had a hint of being able to wear our brownish hues or any fall accessories with the hint of paprika and forest greens. So in case you are already planning on your spring wardrobe just about now, here are the 2008 top Spring trends. I write this knowing I haven't even had a chance to pull my winter clothes out of storage and replace them with my spring and summer clothes.
Here are the trends:
  1. Bold color-technicolor shades
  2. stars and dots
  3. tuxedo
  4. ruffles
  5. floral

Safari is making a comeback as well as high waisted trousers. Now who looks foolish for hanging onto her mom jeans from Eddie Bauer's. I also just put in the give a way bag a Ralph Lauren safari vest. Think I will pull out that baby and keep it for Spring.

One of my favorite authors is Ellen Douglas. She is a Southern author from back in the day. She is in her late 70's or 80's. She is still invited to speak for all manner of author's dinners and conferences on Southern Literature. Her first novel is based on some in her family. She had been offered a contract to complete what was then just a short story which won her a publishing contract. She could not in good faith complete the work without her family member's permission. It was given, but with the codicil that she write under a pseudonym. And as it is said, the rest is history. One of her recent books is, Truth, Four Stories I am Finally Old Enough to Tell. It is a great read and I can see why she needed for people to die off in order to tell these stories without upsetting those involved in these stories. After reading The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls and reading Truth, I think I will have some interesting stories to write about on down the line.

Well, I better move on and get ready for work. Thanks for stopping by and taking time to read my blog. I really appreciate it.

3 comments:

Lisa Pierre said...

Tar-jA. Always has something(s) I didn't know I needed. But I find myself doing the unthinkable and ending up at Walmart.

Dana said...

I love Target...I hate that my Target is attached to the mall...I hate the mall.

Sadness about the little tree!

I will forever be out of fashion, and I love it!

I know it's strange, but I like the word verifications at times. The one I got today on yours is kckoo...what does that say about me?

Anonymous said...

Late night Wednesdays - you gotta love them! By the way, someone came and didn't move a thing - AMAZING! You just never know . . .
And the signs are safe and sound for another fun Wednesday!

LMS