Wednesday, September 9, 2009

09-09-09 and We Are Doing Fine

Today, 09-09-09 is our 32nd wedding anniversary. Wow! When we picked our wedding date all those years ago, who knew we would get two chances of neat date, month and year alignment. Back in 1999, we had 09-09-99.





Roy and I met while we both worked at Pennzoil. He being an auditor and I worked in the treasury department. My roommate introduced us at a Pennzoil weekly Bible study. Roy and I had a few false starts into finally dating. When he returned from working in Brussels, he took me out to lunch at Charlie's 517. He thought I was the shallowest person he had ever met and I thought he was the most arrogant. But there must have been something because he asked me out to a Daniel Amos concert...way back in the day Christian band, and I already had a date to it. He asked me to a UH football game and although I had plans, I changed them and that small change in plans, changed the rest of my life. Oh I am so happy I did. We had a blast at the football game and we began dating in earnest. We started dating in October, engaged in January and married in September. Two opposite people if there ever was...but after all these years we are more alike and dang if it isn't true, we look more alike too.



Let me tell you, Roy is my hero. He is a man after God's heart. His desire is to walk in love and do good. He takes such good care of me. He loves me like no other. If it is in his power to do so, he would give me the moon if I asked for it. There are times he is rough around the edges but the gentleness of his heart makes those edges a little smoother. He is not a macho type of man, but I wouldn't cross him if I were you. He says all the time, what blesses me, blesses him. I love him so much! I am thrilled that we still love to tease each other. We love to walk hand in hand. We say I love you at the end of almost every phone conversation. And we still listen, maybe not as patient as we should at times, to our boring everyday life stories of dealing with thorn in the side people and situations. We listen, give our opinions trying to help but then do the best thing, pray. We ask each other to pray all the time. In fact I just got off the phone with Roy. He is asking me to pray for a meeting he is organizing at 11:00.





Last night when I came in from Bible study, he was working on his mother's estate and all the problems were just a little overwhelming at the moment. Of course I am full of good news and the Word I heard and received. I knew right off the bat, sharing our first session wasn't going to be the way to go with him. So I listened and helped him with his thoughts that will soon be turning into his actions. I did get to share "drop the ball " and God used it to minister to his spirit. He asked me if I could take him to work in the morning so that he wouldn't have to get up as early to catch the bus. I told him of course... This morning in the elevator Roy looked at me and said this is the first anniversary that I haven't had a card for you. I looked at him and said, too bad I can't say the same thing. Oh, I have a card, it's just that I can never find the one I bought for him. I put it someplace for safe keeping.





Last night at the Revelation Bible study, Beth challenged us to take the next 10 weeks and ask Jesus to reveal Himself to us everyday and then journal it. It could be through a song, a sermon, book, word, sunrise, sunset...a person, a leaf...whatever. This morning on our 32nd anniversary Jesus revealed Himself to me through the radio, Andy Stanley was talking on staying in love with our spouse for all of our lives and through Facebook, Jerrell Altic's open letter that blows your socks off and blesses at the same time. Jerrell's words so speak from Jesus' heart and faithfulness. Thank you Jesus for revealing your heart and giving me such a great anniversary present.



09-09-09 is starting off just so fine. It is somewhat ironic that tonight Roy will be attending mergers and acquistions scholl at Fulbrightand Jaworski and I will be at choir taking care of the final night of points with Peggy for the choir contest. Roy and I plan to celebrate this weekend.



HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ROY!!! HERE'S TO 32 MORE YEARS!!!



Like he is even going to read this. He doesn't read my blog.

11 comments:

Tillie said...

Congrats Nancy & Roy! Happy Anniversary!! I'm so excited for you guys...Funnily enough we started out similarly to you and Roy...Gene couldn't stand me :) haha if only they knew!

And Gene never reads our (my) blog either!!

Jennifer said...

Congrats on 32 years! Wasn't Bible Study good last night? I haven't gone in a few semesters and when they started singing it just blew my socks off. Didn't know I missed the worship time with 4,000 women so much!

Grami's girls said...

Happy Anniversary! It seems the older you get and the longer you are married you settle into a nice relaxed happy relationship. Wouldn't it be nice to start off like that??

Ali said...

Nancy, I bet he sneaks a peek at your blog from time to time ;-)

Happy Anniversary to you both

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I am sorry Roy does not read your blog....that could be interesting. Enjoy your celebration - you both are great models to all of us!!!! Enjoy choir tonight - I often think what you would be like in my choir as I direct - what fun!!!

Anonymous said...

i can't believe it has been a year since i first wished you and Roy Happy Anniversary!!! but here it is sooooo HAPPY ANNIVERSARY NANCY & ROY!!!!!!!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Congratualtions....have a great weekend....

Cosmo said...

The widget on the side of my blog had your post "09-09-09" showing it posted "9 hours ago". How could I not click on it?

Happy Anniversary (x9)!

annie's eyes said...

Congratulations, Nancy. Thirty-two years! And many more, my friend--even on a lucky day 090909. Hope it's a special celebration if not tonight, soon. Love Annette

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful holiday!!! ;)

LMS

FitzandMolly said...

Mike doesn't read my blog either. It was good to see you the other night - happy anniversary!