Sunday, September 6, 2009

Walk LIke an Egyptian and Song from the Go Go's

I just realized today I have not been on the computer since early Friday morning. That my friends is a tad unusual for me. I hope you didn't think that my addiction to rosemary bread had done me in. Happy to report I haven't had any since Wednesday when I wrote about it.



This post is going to be way random... I can feel it in my bones. With Roy in Shreveport doing his executor type duties, I worked on the den/closet yesterday. You can actually see the couch in there, but now seeing it, I realize it is so 80's, white with pastel pillows of pink and blue. Can someone name any good couch songs from the 80's, cause this thing is screaming, Good Will or Salvation Army. It's not that I have forgotten this beauty but when Roy has it covered with files, papers, boxes and junk like that, one tends to forget..."don't stop believin" That sounds like it might be an 80's lyric. I am seriously considering loading it up again. Not only did I clear off the couch, I hung three pictures that I have said I would hang for 16 years. This set of pictures is straight out of 1983 and I remember I paid $500.00 for the set. Stupid is as stupid does. I think I need to take pictures so you'll believe me. Be right back.







This is such a deep couch that anyone short will have their legs sticking straight out and not able to touch the floor.

I can't believe I paid so much money for the above. I'm thinking I might even be able to whip this up with what little artistic talent that I have. What can I say, it was the 80's and we wanted to be Yuppies and we were flush with a little bit of money... flush might be an appropriate term to what happened to that money.


Now here is the strangest thing. Yesterday when I was hanging these pictures and yes I know they aren't even, but they are close enough. I am not a perfectionist and I will not be beating myself up over this. Now here is something different than how I usually hang pictures, I actually did some math and got out the tape measure. Just as I was about to hammer in the first nail, a nano second before I do, the people downstairs have just started hanging something on their wall but they make the first hit. Of course I'm responding a beat behind them. Oh my, they are going to think I am knocking on the wall like, stop the hammering. I wait for a few minutes before I begin to hammer in the second nail. Unbelievable, they are again a nano second ahead of me. It wasn't too much later, I heard a little knock at the door. The girl from downstairs was there...not saying I'm sorry, were we disturbing you, but she had a little bit of a fight kick in her. I explained to her what was happening and I had the third picture in hand as I was talking to her. She probably thought, oh great, the old lady is living large in the 80's. It has just now dawned on me, if she is prone to give condo names to people like me, I have just become Pat Benitar to her. Great... Anyway, it all turned out good, well except for the hugely embarrassing 80's thing that is going on around here. Now where are my Joan Collin shoulder pads?




I hated that we had to miss Amy K's birthday party Thursday night. Here is a sign that I knew things were not going well from the old bod... On my way home from Bible study and lunch with Peggy, I could barely keep my eyes open because this terribly heavy weight of exhaustion hit me. In fact when I came home, I threw down my stuff and headed straight for bed. Even after a nap, the tiredness had not lifted. So I had to make the tough decision to stay home.
Thursday, I went to Community Bible Study in Katy. But Nancy, don't you live by the church? Thanks for asking, yes I do, but I am going to the Bible study in Katy because it gives me a chance to learn more about God's Word...hey, I am trying to be all spiritual all up in here, but mainly to spend time with Peggy. Only Peggy didn't make it to the first week. So, I was that alone person only I didn't want anyone to come over and "comfort" me in my aloneness. I did get a person who was concerned, but that's OK. I love answering those questions like are you new to the area? Have you ever studied the Bible before? Is this your first time to attend a Bible study? There is homework involved and for once, so far, I am doing it like you are supposed to do it, thoughtfully and not just skim the passages in question. I have found with Living Proof homework, Beth almost always gives the answer in the next question...but not these Community Bible study folks. Uh, no one told me there were going to be memory verses... I guess I should have known that from all the previous Bible studies I have attended. In our core group, we went around telling something about us. Since what church you attend and denominations aren't to be discussed, I had to kind of get around the fact that I had recently retired from working at a church. So I just said, I'm not able to tell you where I have just recently retired from since it is on the list of things we cannot discuss...then I got all nervous that they might be thinking I had just retired from, God forbid politics or being a pole dancer at some strip club. Of course the second thing that everyone said is, and I'm married to______. I forgot to say Roy as my second thing and got all nervous about that. Maybe they are thinking that Roy doesn't rate to be second mentioned.... he does of course, but I got all muddled thinking about the retired from thing. Then everyone told about their hundreds of children and/or grandchildren... Since we never were able to have kids, I think I have to qualify that I am not going to cry at the drop of the word child or anything like that. These ladies don't have a clue about this or our history, and I didn't want them to be uncomfortable. Thank goodness I didn't trip all over myself and tell them I was sad about it one Christmas for about 15 minutes. Hopefully, they will let me return to the group. I was just kind of happy I had showed up without Peggy being there and I am happy that when I was telling this story to Dena, she made a big to do over that very fact of my showing up without a friend. Thanks Dena, that made my day.
After Bible study, I went to Chicky to get lunch for Gertrude and me. Then she and I ate lunch and giggled and talked for over an hour before making the trip home. Of course you know from a previous paragraph, that is when exhaustion hit me straight up...isn't that a Paula Abdul song?
I haven't been to the Nord in about a month. That is until today. Went to the Bistro for lunch. On Sundays it used to be all quiet and not even busy. The place was hopping! Yesterday I had lunch at Lupe's, just me and my book. On Friday I was at Fu's with a book companion. Not bad eating for Roy to be out of town. He said they have barely made a dent in all the junk at his mom's house. He is bringing home some good stuff but he said there is so much more to do.
I have other stuff I want to write about, but this thing has gone on too long and you'll need time to recover from our lovely 80's room. So until later...peace out.

No comments: