Friday, September 25, 2009

Sales, Sails and Storms

Oh Academy, how I love you. Let me count the ways... This morning after working out I dropped by the friendly Academy store, just to do a look see. Not only did I have a good look see, I hit pay dirt on bargains, mostly for Roy. There on the on sale racks were the cargo shorts he likes marked down to $2.88 and t-shirts for $4.88. I found a pair of capris for me, $4.88 and a pink Astro cap for $2.88. I might just wear that little hat even if the Astros are horrible this year. OK, I didn't buy the hat to support the team, I may be able to wear it if I keep growing my hair out a little longer. Then when the coolish temperatures continue, I can wear my little pink hat in Mustang Sally and not look like a boy. A couple of weeks ago I hit pay dirt at The Nord. Everything I bought had been marked down twice and I stayed below my budget of $200.00. I did take a list and held to it mostly, but dang if there wasn't the cutest pair of pajamas that called out to me. So I celebrated the find and bought them.


Several months ago I blogged on celebrating, because sometimes we forget to do that in the midst of difficult days. Last night a friend and I had dinner. With everything that is going on in both of our lives, but especially hers, to make the time to catch up was certainly a cause to celebrate. While having dinner, we did partially celebrate her birthday that happened to be in August. We have been able to meet for several dinners, but I wanted to hold off bringing her gifts because I thought it would diminish the celebration when we actually go to the birthday dinner place. But we needed to be joyous and celebratory, what better way to celebrate than to honor her. We had great fun and calm in the midst of our particular storms.


Peggy's father died early Wednesday morning. The family has sensed that his time to leave the earth and go to heaven was imminent. She made it back to Arlington to say her last goodbyes until then... Our conversations have more of a serious tone to them this week, but we have still been able to celebrate her dad and the legacy he has left in so many lives. She texted me Thursday morning to see if I was going to go to Bible study without her. Yes, but not to the very first part. We get tickled over a couple of things that happen and I can't endure the time without Peggy there. Our laughing together through texting celebrated that life continues and we honored her dad in that laughter.


There are other friends Dana, Marcia, Denise, who are enduring difficult days. Roy walks through this time of life, along with his brothers and sister in laws, wrapping up the finality of their mother's life. The work has been hard and really very little time has been taken to deal with the emotions of her death. The realization of being without their parents hasn't taken hold yet. But these friends and family find small moments to celebrate something, anything. Stormy times off and on from the horizon.

I am re-reading today, the storm accounts in Matt 8, Mark 4 and Luke 8. Jesus fast asleep in the boat, storm comes up, disciples worried and cry out to him, Jesus rebukes the wind and the waves, the storm ceases. Until today, I had never noticed a particular thing in this account. The wind and the waves, the rain and the storm didn't wake Jesus. He slept through all that but He heard the voices of His disciples crying out. He heard them in the midst of that raging noise. We can be so sure that He hears us when we cry out to Him. He hears us crying to Him in our storms, no matter what kind of storm we are experiencing.


Last Thursday after Bible study and lunch, I drove out to Champion Toyota to pick up our license plates. I-45 was full of traffic storms. Too much lane changing and indecision going on the Pierce Elevated. In all that traffic storm, deep in my spirit I heard, be alert, avoid the trouble up ahead for you, pay attention. So you know I followed the lead of that still small voice. I was on point and just as I was coming up to the Hobby Airport area, I heard in my spirit again, this is it. At that moment a truck with all matter of poles and ladders protruding out the end of the pickup bed. made a tight move to get in front of me. In front of him, there was another truck and a big black bucket or two sailed out of the back of the truck causing the truck in front of me to swerve and brake. I begin furiously braking and the rear of the car is sliding like we are going to make a circle. It was only me, I guess I am saying we cause I might have been thinking, Jesus Take the Wheel. In back of me was a big ol' truck, braking hard just like the rest of us. In all that screeching of tires I cried out to the Lord and He heard my cry. I didn't want to get smashed in between trucks. And dang it, it is a brand new car that we worked so hard to save for to be able to pay for it without car payments. NO ONE hit anything or anyone. The cars in the other lane swerving to avoid the buckets didn't hit anything. Me and trucks stopped within inches of one another. Believe me, when I got home I celebrated my traveler's mercies and took a long nap.


I don't know what storms might be raging in your life right now, but it is true, there is peace in the midst of the storm and Jesus hears our cries above all the noise we find ourselves in. I have a feeling I may have created a small storm here on the home front because Roy wants to go to more Academy's to find more great deals on cargo shorts. Oh may we find enough on our first Academy stop.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

pick up a pink hat for me, please! amd please avoid all flying buckets in the future!!!Whew!!! You did need that nap after that!

FitzandMolly said...

so is it "traveling mercies," or "traveler's mercies?" whatever it is, i'm glad you had it!

Anonymous said...

When I was a child I remember my father always prayed for 'Journeying mercies' before we left on any trip. Perhaps we should all do this a little more often

Erin said...

I had never thought about Jesus hearing His disciples but not the storm. Thanks for sharing that - a very good point!!