Sunday, September 13, 2009

Job Was Sick So Long, Till the Flesh Fell Off His Bones

First off, I really appreciate the comments and feedback from my last post. Thanks CourtneyS for mentioning Eulalia because I instantly had the picture of what overflow from the heart looks like. And thanks anonymous for your input on how memorizing scripture is to minister to us. In Sunday School today as the teacher was referring to different verses, she knew them by memory and you could tell that knowing them so blessed and ministered to her but I never opened my Bible to look at those verses she referred to and I am such a visual person. Peggy and I concluded that memorizing scripture, tons and tons of it, should probably not be talked about to others, so a natural overflow happens. The Word ministers and you're not standing there thinking, oh this must be part of the 1000 verses he/she are trying to memorize this year.


OK, so I did use some of the announcement time in Sunday School, since it went on much longer than usual, to try and find a verse in Job that I had seen this week. Job is a funny book and I think I have more trouble reading it, more than the book of Revelation. It's like, you shouldn't read anything that the three friends said to Job since God chastises them at the end for what they said. So, I find myself just reading Job's replies and then what God says. Anyone else think these kind of thoughts?

Anyway, I found the verses I was looking for. These verses would have been great to know and have memorized as a kid for not cleaning my plate. I tried to share this verse with Carole Lewis, National Director for First Place for Health, this morning. I think it would be a great verse to know in First Place. But, I am going to memorize these verses for such a time as needed. You know those times, table talk, small group sharing, and the like, especially when you aren't sitting with friends or people who should know better than always believe what your sharing.

Is tasteless food eaten without salt or is there flavor in the white of an egg? I refuse to touch it; such food makes me ill. Job 6:6-7

Wouldn't it be fun just to answer some deep, deep theology question with verse 6?

Learned Person: So I believe that Calvin would back me up on this and of course we are all familiar with what happened on the plain of Dura.

Me: ah yes, of course. It is written, is tasteless food eaten without salt or is there flavor in the white of an egg? Why do the birds go on singing, why do these eyes of mine cry? Don't they know it's the end of the world and it ended when you said goodbye.

Learned Person: oh yes of course because deep calls to deep at the sound of Thy water falls and we should not forget His benefits.

Me: I wake up in the morning and I wonder why everything's not the same as it was. No I can't understand, no I can't understand why life goes on the way it does. I refuse to touch it; such food makes me ill.


Only in my imagination, that is running away with me, would any of this happen. But hey, we need to dream and have BHAG type of goals.

Since there are all kinds of lyrical references in this post, I cannot sign off without leaving you with this. I have written that I end my workout with the song, I'm Not Tired Yet. Well, the second to last song I listen to is this

Job was sick so long till the flesh fell off his bones. You know his wife, cattle and his children, everything he had was gone. But Job in his despair, he knew that God still cares and He may not come when you want Him, but He's right on time, right on time.


You can't hurry God. No, you just have to wait. No you can't hurry God, you just have to wait. Oh oh, you can't hurry God, you just have to wait. He may not come when you want Him, but He's right on time, right on time.

Actually, the song is wrong. He still had his wife, she said curse God and die. Job responded very piously and thoughtfully to her, is tasteless food eaten without salt, or is there flavor in the white of an egg?

6 comments:

marty h said...

I am with you on Job! I think it is good to memorize because at our age it is a great way to stay humble - it takes forever to accomplish and going a week without reviewing, you find the verses are gone! I love Beth Moore's approach to her Siestas memorizing - the older ones can try but need to at least meditate well on the verses if they don't quite accomplish the memorization! Love your posts, girlfriend.

FitzandMolly said...

What??

Anonymous said...

your posts rarely need salt....what fun!!!!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Don't do these often, but left you a blog tonight on the holdiday blog..

JChaz said...

Nancy,
I'm curious as to what you know about the song 'Ole Job' that you quoted in this blog. I found an old LP recording of a group from Atlanta, GA called The Trebleaires who recorded it back in the late 60s. Just wondered how you came to know about the song. It rang a bell with me today, and my attempts at 'googling' it brought me to you. I enjoyed your writing, and felt compelled to ask you what you knew about the song - or who you had heard sing it - or who you might've had a recording of performing it. Blessings! Charlie Sexton -

Nancy Mon said...

Charlie,
I heard this song years ago. There was a radio program, a call in show on a Christian radio station. Every week this older woman would call in and sing this song. I think the title is You Can't Hurry God. Mississippi Mass Choir has recorded it and you might be able to find it on You Tube.