Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Mob Rule- Rice University/ Parking Lot After Tuesday Night Bible Study

Saturday night, Roy and I went to the Vanderbilt vs Rice game. I was texting Peggy during the game and she said there are a lot of smart people in that stadium. She is right. Roy loves Rice football and I have not gone to a game in a long time. Such great memories of the MOB, Marching Owl Band. Love how they come onto the field, unlike any other college band I have ever seen. This band is complete with violins and cellos. It is going to be a long season for Rice, but they offer a great evening of entertainment. That night's give a way was insulated grocery tote bags from HEB.

Here is the Rice MOB beginning the evenings festivities



They are playing the Rice school song. Lauren, you might want to make an audio copy of the words for everyone.




The National Anthem



Now this is really cool. They let families with little kids come out onto the field to cheer the football players as they run onto the field. You can see below the beginnings of the lines forming.






They had a lot of people out on the field and once the football team arrived through the line, the families dissipated quickly back into the stands. I was watching kids streaming out of the east side of the stadium onto the field. Some of them Vanderbilt supporters. That is a really cool thing that Rice does.



Rice University knows how to make MOB's dissipate with ease. Oh how I wish it were that simple on Tuesday nights after Bible Study.
If you are my age or a fan of old movies, there is a great movie that was made in 1962, It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. All the comedians of that era are in it and the film contains some of the funniest chase scenes ever produced. Transpose the car scenes from the link below into modern 2009 in a church parking lot where 4000 women have gathered to worship and learn about God and you'll pretty much have a good picture of what happens right after the last amen.




http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYuPKObKicY


*****What the police man says at the end of the clip seems like it could be said on Tuesday nights as well**********
I am a fan of waiting around afterwards to let the traffic die down. The time is spent visiting and laughing with friends. Last night, was an exception to my usual practice. I needed to leave immediately after Bible study to take care of something. So I was with the masses making the quick exit from the building. What an experience! You would think that after studying about Revelation 4 and 5, the Holiness of God we all might be a bit different in spirit. So like Paul I might say, I don't know if I was in the spirit or the flesh when all the pandemonium and chaos took place but baby, it took place. I parked in the North lot and exited from the Facilities Hall with about 50 of my new best friends. One of my new best friends forever tripped me and I will give her the benefit of the doubt that it was done unintentionally, but something deep inside me thinks she did it on purpose. We exploded out onto the parking lot where several found themselves with a car trapped in the parking place, because women had pulled up behind them and parked. And guess these late parkers weren't as quick as the early birds. One woman stood there in the parking lot, mind you she was an older woman, older than me, much older than me, dressed in a tailored pantsuit wailing and flaying her arms above her head. She was madly spinning in a circle yelling...No really....YELLING, S#*t, s%$t, sh#$, sh#&. Wow, maybe she hadn't been in Bible study. Maybe she had been playing basketball in the CLC and was upset that someone blocked her signature dunk! Hmmm.... Probably not. She continued jumping and cussing as I walked by. Luckily, no one had parked behind me, so I began to pull out and I thought the SUV sitting there was being polite and letting me out. Uh, no she was in her car talking to a friend standing by her car and when she saw that my little Camry was going to get ahead of her in exiting the lot, she totally blew off her friend and tried to block me from backing out any further. Only problem, at this point neither one of us could move, but I maneuvered in the tight space and got backed out and in line. At this point I am considering abandoning my car and joining the older lady in a hissy fit. I see the error of my daydream and continue on. A woman gets into her Porsche and begins backing up and is going to crumple my brand new passenger door. I would have let her in if she had been getting into her car when I moved up in line, but no one was in that car when that transpired. Again, I am wondering if I should get out and start a new hissy fit because finally older lady is able to back out. I hurriedly exited onto the feeder road, all kind of swerving and maneuvering going on. Women are pulling out like it is all clear. What the heck? Made it to Post Oak Road and averted more problems. I quickly prayed for the police officers and wondered if they get combat pay. I know they don't, when I worked at the church that invoice came across my desk. Someone should take up a love offering for them. I was able to turn onto N Post Oak Lane which is a major cut through street but I live on it and encountered more crazy, crrraaaaazzzzzzyyyyyyy women. I didn't feel safe until I pulled in and parked my car at home. Whew...what an experience! And I only thought the ladies who gather early for front row seating were aggressive.
Who knew that mob rule means two different things to two entirely different groups. Only it seems that the meanings should be reversed.

4 comments:

lisa Ownette Pierre said...

Aw, girl! I hope your knee is better today. What a "trip!" Need to watch that movie again, thanks for adding the clip, fun, fun, fun! Love slapstick stuff like that. Silly me!

Anonymous said...

can't believe i watched the whole thing-but laughed my b%$#@@tt off! thanks for posting that clip, the policeman reference was perfect!! i'm glad i was able to calmly enjoy a wonderful cup of coffee before leaving last night and wish you were too....being part of the former group is enough madness for the night for me but i do like to sit up front! i'm not an aggressive loudmouth driver though! sure was a good lesson last night though!

Grami's girls said...

Your so funneee. Enjoyed the video!

FitzandMolly said...

I love that movie so much.