Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Good Night Nurse, It's Not Even Halloween Yet

After being afflicted with the curse of food poisoning for the past few days, I was finally able to make it downstairs to pick up the mail. Our little box fills up quickly with our own mail and now the estate's mail as well. No surprise that the box was chocked full of mail, most of the contents being catalogs. Surely some of these had to be from Rosemary's mail. No such luck, they were all ours. Last year I began to keep count of catalogs I received from November through December. It seems like the catalog business has taken it up a notch and beginning earlier this year. I am going to do the same thing. Starting today, I am going to keep count. Last year in just two months I received over 350. Let's see what this year will bring.

Silhouettes
Travel Smith
PBS
The Territory Ahead
Improvements
The Vermont Country Store
Hearth Song
Hammacher Schlemmer
Spanx
The Art Institute of Chicago
Figi's
Unicef

So that is 12. Some of the catalogs I have received in the past few weeks have threatened me with "could this be your last catalog from us?" Of course they want you to order something and I really want to tell them this is the first catalog I have ever received from them and I would love for it to be the last. They lie...they keep them coming.

Who is selling my information? I kind of keep track this way. If I subscribe to a magazine I change the spelling of my name and that way I can keep up with the culprit. Now I will say there are a couple of these catalogs I love to look through, Art Institute of Chicago and Vermont Country Store. Hearth Song, never heard of them and from the cover, it looks to be children's toys.

Anyone else want to keep count with me?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

was beginning to wonder if you were undathweather .glad you're well enough to share the name-change trick -love that one...stay well!!!!!

Grami's girls said...

I also get alot of junk mail. I use to try to mail them back and tell them to take me off their list. I'm glad you are on the mend!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

I get SO macy...think I will keep count too....I got five today.

Laurie M said...

If you get any cool one for boy Christmas ideas, save them for me,K?

FitzandMolly said...

we got hammacher-schlemmer the other day. i'd like the spanx catalog though...