Friday, October 23, 2009

Must Be the Weather That Has My ADD Up a Notch




Even though I am counting catalogs again this season, one of my favorites to look through is Vermont Country Store. Until today, I have never ordered anything from them but this year I decided to order some Christmas candles that are exactly like ones we had when growing up. I ordered a singing angel, some carolers, night before Christmas and nativity. Of course it is odd to think that Baby Jesus has a wick in his head for lighting use. Somehow, it just doesn't seem right. I also ordered a sheep pin and some Cola Syrup for upset stomachs. My mom gave us that when we were children and it always soothed a troubled tummy. Vermont catalog is such a trip down memory lane. There are products that haven't darkened a store shelf in years that are available. Like the shampoo, Gee Your Hair Smells Terrific and if I really wanted to take it back old school...Evening in Paris perfume. If you don't get their catalog, go online at http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/ and have some fun.






It was great running errands this morning out in Mustang Sally. The top down and the choir practice CD blaring. Oh and me singing alto right along with it, well untill I would accidently start singing tenor. Anyway, Creation Sings sounded so good outdoors and believe me there was some worship going on in that car. Plenty good room to raise a hand. Only one hand. Cause the other one had to do the steering. I can use my knee but have slick workout pants on today, so that wasn't going to work.






I think our home is finally rid of food poisoning. I ate ice cream on Sunday night, got sick. Roy ate it on Wednesday night and he became ill as well. So we pin pointed it to that. With all the commercials reminding us to stock up on stuff in case of swine flu illness, food poisoning was a good trial run. Buddy was just about out of food, but we were able to make it stretch for an extra couple of days. Hey, maybe it was just like the song, These Are the Days of Elijah and the Lord made sure there was plenty like He did for the widow at Zarephath when Elijah stayed with her.




The past few Sundays our class was blessed to be taught by Debbie Brown. She's on staff at church as an admin and personal trainer/teacher. She had never taught a Sunday School lesson before, but sure didn't sound like it. With Dena being out of pocket for awhile as she tends to the needs of her family, we have experienced all kinds of teaching styles. Think the style that speaks to me and probably to more is where we can hear the teacher's voice in the lesson. I read last week that it is easier to teach verse by verse lessons and that is why so many lean that way. It is more difficult to teach "felt" lessons where the heart and the hurt of people gets ministered to. Debbie laid her life out and we were ministered to by the Word and her experiences.




I have been reading out of the New Living Translation for my quiet times. Love reading different versions throughout the year. This has been a particularly good version to read the Old Testament. Yesterday I picked up my Bible and began reading Judges 1. I read the whole book yesterday afternoon. What is so neat is, some things that happened in Judges helped me have a better understanding of our study in the Divided Kingdom. Pieces of the puzzle were coming together for me. This Community Bible Study has been one of the best Bible studies I have ever participated in. Life changing in that I actually do the homework and enjoy doing it. I even answer the deeper study questions. Love the fact that it stretches me, meeting new people and meeting in a church I am not familiar with.




Yesterday while channel surfing, I stopped and watched a little bit of Joyce Meyer. It has been some time since I have listened to her. She still tells it like it is and pushes the envelope on getting past the churchy lefieme' stuff. She was teaching that faith works through love. She said we are wasting our time praying in faith if we are not walking and practicing God's love. Preach it!




After going to Target this morning, I stopped in Macy's. I am keeping my eye on a pair of Michael Kor's pants and trying to catch them when they are on sale. Passed by the Dooney Burke and Coach purse areas. Oh my goodness, they had a table of purses 60% off. There were some very cool bags there but I just purchased a new Vera Bradley purse last week and wasn't feeling very Dooney or Coachy. Although there was a muted yellow purse that made me stop twice...




This weekend is the estate sale in S'port. Pat, the estate lady, sent an email out with pics and has already had over 2000 hits on picture site. Supposed to be beautiful weather there tomorrow. http://www.flickr.com/photos/thatcherestatesale is the site if you want to look at what a great job she has done with the stuff, lots and lots of stuff buried in attics, closets, drawers and every nook and cranny.




My ADD is bad today. I am so random. Oh well, steam of consciousness post are always fun.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Hey Nancy! Please delete this dumb comment after you read it, but I have a little info for you. When Jackson had his first stomach virus, I found out that I wasn't supposed to give him any dairy for like a week after. Apparently it's too hard on your system after being sick like that. Of course, I didn't know and I kept giving him milk and he kept throwing up every day. Maybe that's why the ice cream was doing y'all in. I hope you get to feeling better and I sure am sorry you had to deal with that!
Love,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

i bet you had the pilgrim candles too! hope you get a shot at thoses kors pants! glad you both are well!

Ali said...

I laugh at you singing the tenor part. I sing in a choir and I AM a tenor!! So when I'm collecting my practice CD and ask for the tenor the nice lady looks at me and says, no, no dear - the tenor is the MAN part. Gives me confidence at least I don't look like a man, even if I apparently sing like one

Marty H said...

Glad you are better! Those candles did take me back - We had them but never burned them - kept them for decoration each year. After about 15 years, some of the eyes were missing or had melted down the cheek a bit!