Thursday, October 29, 2009

This and That with Nancy



This has been wicky wacky strange weather today. Lots of heat and humidity. Sunshine and overcast skies. Light showers to heavy showers of rain. Coming back into Houston from Katy this morning I experienced it all. It will be welcomed when this rain heads out of here and we'll enjoy cooler temps and plenty o sunshine.


Yesterday, it was just right to enjoy lunch with Lisa P at Tiny Boxwood. My first visit and hopefully not the last. Before meeting Lisa, I ran over to The Nord to see if there was anything in particular, which really translates pants, that Penny would hold till next Wednesday when the Twice Yearly Sale begins. Found two pairs of pants, one which is one sale. So, I will get double points when I buy them next week.


We were able to grab the last table outside and we had a wondrous lunch and absolutely great conversation.





This afternoon I ran errands in between rain showers. Before returning home I stopped by Corner Books to see what's happening. Their Texas Pecan coffee is truly awesome and almost life changing. Now I will tell you what is life changing Orange Supreme Cake from Moeller's Bakery.


The strawberry cake is good too, but not as life changing as Orange Supreme. When I went to pick these up at least 3 phone orders included orange cake.

Last night I had dinner with a friend at Molina's. Sometimes you just need some of the vinegary salsa. Yesterday was a day filled with great conversations. We don't always experience such depth in conversations and when you get to twice in a day, it is something to take notice of.

The estate sale at Roy's moms is over. It was last weekend and from the sound of it, the sale went well. Saturday, Roy and I stopped at one of the finest jewelers in the Galleria to have some stones appraised. Roy pretty much knew they were worthless because these same stones had been appraised in Shreveport. Nothing like a jeweler giving you the pity look because they think you got taken in buying CZ's instead of diamonds. No, Roy's dad did but Roy needed to get that taken care of to add to the inventory list.

We are studying Elijah in Bible study right now and I have loved the homework. The material is so thought provoking and so assuring that God can use anything and anyone to meet needs and take care of His children. Our discussions in small group is my favorite part. Today I ended up leaving early and it really pained me to do so. I got a little coughing jag and I knew it was from dry throat but I left because everyone is on alert for swine flu. I didn't want them to think that is why I was coughing. Of course as soon as I got into the car, it stopped. I'm so glad Peggy asked me to go with her. It is refreshing to go where you only know one person and there aren't any preconceived ideas of who you are or what you might say. They know I am funny, but they also know I love the Word. I love studying it and my relationship with Jesus grows deeper and deeper. Sometimes at church I think we get into a rut of what a Word lover looks like and if we don't happen to fit in that mold, we are dismissed as just someone funny or someone who doesn't look like everyone else spiritually. I was talking with a friend who is in charge of women's ministry at her church. She said they are working so hard to do away with perceptions that if you aren't a mom or a stay at home mom, or a petite little wispy 89 pound woman or one who speaks in that holy voice all the time, that those are the only women who are welcomed and accepted. She stays away with the stereotypes of homely women, oh yea, they are servants and will serve in the kitchen or any manual work. She doesn't just let the "beautiful teach or lead Bible studies. She and her leadership team look at the heart. Hmm...how novel. Roy would really like to buy a home in West U to be close to Rice University. I'm not that interested in a house or West U. As we were dreaming about what we might like to do in the next few years, I told him if we do buy a house and if it is a large house, I ain't making no stinkin' promise that I will use it for God's glory by hosting events in it. That is a crock promise anyway and I hate to entertain anymore. He must have laughed for 10 minutes about that. Hey, I take those vow things to God very seriously. Better to be honest from the get go. God knows my heart.

3 comments:

jené said...

You need to go back to Tiny Boxwoods for breakfast during the week, or brunch on Sunday. It's the best time to be there!

Grami's girls said...

You are so funny and honest!! Wish you were in my class!!

Anonymous said...

should i repeat my yesterday's comment re: conversationalists???? Love that you are SO many different people in one...it is so sad that so many people get typecast often by others who never see all the facets of the gem they are looking at! and speaking of "looking at"- You look so happy and relaxed in your picture===your hairdresser is definitely a keeper...your hair looks so cute!!!!! you said she moved and you now have to drive further - well it is a good drive!!!!