Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Hope Falls Eternal in September

Today was my last in the series of injections in my knees.  This one hurt a little more than the other two but that's because I've got gel inside my knees from the previous shots and there isn't as much room in there.  I have felt good since the first shot but the doctor told me today that in about two to three weeks I will really begin to feel a difference, if it is working.  Sure hope that these injections do the trick so I won't have to have knee replacement surgery anytime soon.  The waiting room can be purely entertaining.  There was an older couple sitting behind me and the discussion they were having as the woman filled out the forms was classic.  When you're asked about ailments or surgery, she was diligently going through each choice.  Her husband told her, just check everything cause you have had everything or you have just about had everything removed.  They got into a little tiff and then in typical old person fashion, they became very concerned because people who had come in after them were being called behind the golden door before them.  They were an hour and a half early for the appointment.  It is hearing things like this that has been a constant reminder to me about attitude in the midst of illness and the need to depend on God because we can't do this in our own strength.  In those particular rough patches early on this journey, it had to be the Lord's doing because basically many times I was done.  There have been many I've observed on a tough, tough road in their personal lives but how they conducted their lives and how the words they spoke were not of despair or looking for sympathy, even in the great losses, with their hearts broken, they gave great testimony of the Lord.  So thank you Marge Caldwell, Carole Lewis, Beth Moore and Janet Taylor for modeling how we are to live when the course of life is not the course we would have chosen. 

This morning was leadership council meeting.  I had to stay afterwards for some training that I had to miss last week.  I grabbed a quick bite to eat and then called most of my group before heading to the doctor.

It is 111 degrees outside but hope falls eternal in September.  We are close to seeing fall that one day in November, but we know we have many more days of 90 and above temperatures to make it through.  Last year I waited until it was cool, like in the 80's to put out fall décor.  This year, hot temps be darned!  I'm putting out some fall foliage around the house.  On the way home I stopped at Home Goods and got a few more fallish type items as well as some Thanksgiving things for later on.  If you don't get stuff now it gets picked over.  Did you feel the world go a little off kilter this afternoon?  You can blame me because I went into Michael's for a couple of things.  Michael's and Hobby Lobby are not even on a regular rotation of stores for me. 

Yesterday, as I began my fall tour in our home, I went about it in pure sanguine and ADD methods.  I started on fall, but soon diverted my attention to cleaning out the cabinet underneath my bathroom sink, which led me to finding a set of sheets in the linen closet I had bought and getting them into the washer, then taking all the old sheets and putting them away to cover plants if it freezes, then getting all the odd pillowcases that have collected themselves on a shelf and getting rid of them. which led me back to fall but first I felt I needed to go through a couple of boxes that are stored with the fall décor in the guest bedroom closet.  Most everything got done, except for putting everything back in the closet and finishing the fall decorating. 

Last night Bill and Peggy brought over pizza to Dena's and we were invited to come eat with them.  Such fun!  Dena is moving through those boxes lickity split and has most of the needed stuff organized and ready to roll.  Roy and I were going to introduce her to Burgers and More on Saturday but when Roy pulled up to order, there was a sign on the door that they are closed until October. 

The Amish Craftsman called today and the sideboard we ordered and was made by a little ol' Amish man in Indiana is here and ready to be delivered.  That is so exciting because it wasn't supposed to be here until October.  I've been reading several blogs that the authors are trying to buy American and make differences in people's lives and welfare.  We have contributed greatly to the Amish Americans.  I love that look because it reminds me of my mother's mom...who didn't have arts/craftsman style furniture but decorated in that warm, homey style of arts/craftsman.  The furniture is the closest thing I will have to living in a bungalow. 

I'm so thankful that the lovely people from Sprouts have prepared tonight's dinner.  It's rough being spiritual early in the morning, injected in the early afternoon and fall décor shopping in the almost unbearable heat of the late afternoon.   So thankful for A/C and a cold Diet Coke. 

No comments: