Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Lost Opportunity and The Passing of a Friend, Joan Brunson

This is an early morning kind of day. If all had gone according to plan, Riley would be getting prepped for surgery. All had gone so well, with getting meds in her and hopefully not having her realize it was not going to be a normal morning....but, she fought hard and we knocked over stuff in the garage trying to get her into the carrier. I have scratches galore...hmm...another good stripper name, Gentlemen, welcome Scratches Galore to the stage...anyway, she won this round, Riley, not Scratches Galore. Now, the decision of what to do. That will come later because right now she is probably sleeping off the effects of the chill pill. The surgeon called me this morning and was so reassuring because I want to cry, boohoo cry, cause each time I try to help I lose her trust and although she had bounced back, you never know with cats. She can't live in the garage for the rest of her life, so I will have to let her out but the risk is, she will never come back in. Emotionally, before yesterday, I had turned a corner just like I thought she had. Now, those emotions are back and I'm in a quandary for the next step. The doctor did come up with a plan if I am able to get her in a carrier, but the cutoff timing will be next week. Meanwhile, inside the house, Buddy has taken up residence in front of the little heater we use in the bonus room. The room is over the garage and probably doesn't have much in the way of insulation. For me, it is a cup of coffee and finally getting these scratches to stop bleeding. And to sit here and try to think what the next step will be with Riley. Gee whiz, my heart is held captive for this little bit of a time by a feral cat named Riley. Just had to go out in the garage and got the stink eye from her.

This early morning I also awoke to the news of a friend who passed away last night. Her name, Joan Brunson and she was the church pianist for over thirty years at Houston's First Baptist Church. I knew her from choir, got to know her better at Camp Houston when we were sponsors for the high school students at Camp Alto Frio. She got me at lunch one afternoon. You know how delicious camp food is, food served on those sectioned off trays and we had been relegated to just spoons by the kitchen staff and no forks due to horseplay at another meal, all of us, not just Joan and me. We were waiting on full restoration of eating utensil privilege cause eating with a fork is a privilege not a right. Joan put a huge spoonful of food in her mouth and then began to violently react to her food. Fumbling around, shaking her head...when she spits out a roach onto her spoon. Oh my goodness, I am freaking out and she is laughing so hard at me...fake rubber roach and she got to the newbies every time. You know I so wanted to be like her from that point on. When we were moved to the music suite while on staff at First Baptist, it was another opportunity to get to know Joan better. Such a delight. Several of us would eat our lunches together in the small conference room and we always had such a good time. Joan always had candy, candy bars in particular, hidden in the office. Some afternoons, when we were getting the 3:00 slowdown, she would magically produce some candy and you know, she did that sometimes at lunch. Some afternoons she would practice the songs for Sunday and it made some of the more boring work palatable with her music filling the air. I remember one Sunday night church service where she and another pianist sang the offertory rather than play it. She and Barbara sang It Is Well With My Soul and we taken up in worship once again....oh these musicians and their talents. Joan refused to drink anything from an aluminum can because she believed that Alzheimer's could be a side effect. Even with that, Joan developed that dread disease. It did not take away her piano abilities though and she played almost until she passed away.   She and her husband John raised two great kids. both of whom I love and respect. I wish I could get back to Houston for her service. Any choir and orchestra present or past is asked to participate in the service. Peggy had texted me to let me know about Joan, and the song that came to mind at that moment...No More Night. Side note to the song, No More Night, when singing, "See Over There...." wouldn't it be fun for the choir to point in a direction and see if the congregation would look to where the choir pointed?

Now, the kiddos have been fed and they got to eat their fill since none of the transient cats were around. They also got a special treat cause I used some of Buddy's food and Fortiflora added into their wet cat food. They were very happy campers.

The sun is trying to break through the overcast skies. The rain has moved off and away for now but think we are to expect another round this afternoon. Still have Riley in the garage for her own safety till the chill pill wears off...then...I don't know...  I have sure tried at giving this little cat a better shot at life and hopefully, that will be a goal that will be met, but for now she sits at the window and I tear up and put band aids on my hands. Because...here with you now, for your blogging pleasure, live and in person...Scratches Galore...no clothes were removed while writing the blog post.

No comments: