Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Reprieve,Reveal, Resolve and Resign

A weather reprieve has come to the mountains. This week abundant sunshine, warmer temps and a little fragrance of spring in the air is welcomed. All the weather people are warning us, enjoy but winter is going to return. I don't mind winter at all but this break seems so needed after many days of cold temps and icy terrain.

Yesterday, Inez and I journeyed over to Haywood County, stopping first at The Blue Rooster. The first day back after being closed for their annual week at the end of January. We arrived early and so happy we did, because there was a waiting list for tables not too long after opening. Inez astutely observed the lack of coconut cake in the dessert display case and when our server returned, we, probably sounding rather desperate, asked about the cake. The kitchen staff was in the process of finishing up the cakes and there would be cake available for the end of our meal. With that we returned to enjoying our fried chicky and delicious veggies. We got to see Lora for a little visit but with things hopping in the restaurant, she could only visit for just a bit. After fortifying ourselves for shopping, we headed over to the Hazelwood area. Hazelwood Soap and Robin Blu were our main objectives for stops, then we headed over to Mast General in downtown Waynesville. Such an enjoyable day. We solved world problems completely knowing that no one was going to listen to our solutions. We laughed and giggled to ourselves for our own entertainment. And Inez still has it, she got in and out of that convertible like a spring chicken.

As per usual, upon returning home, the first thing is typically a little walk to the back and call out to Riley. You know, just a checking in kind of thing. Anyway, called out...heard a weak little meow. The kiddos looked out from under the porch but the meow didn't come from them. Called again, nothing. Then called a third time and once again a weak little meow followed. Turned around to look by the propane tank and the cypress firs, don't know what they are called here, nothing. Then I remembered that Riley has been paying a lot of attention to this storage tub that is turned upside down on a stack of flagstone walking pavers. The storage container is used for water hose storage in the winter but since we need to replace the hoses this year, we left it there on the driveway. When Riley was a tiny kitten, Cali used that area to hide her kittens as they traversed between the front and backyard. It was an accidental discovery on my part back then and acted as if I had never seen Cali herding her kittens underneath for protection. I lifted one end up of the bin, nothing...still heard a faint meow, so I lifted the other end and there was Riley. Happy to be released but wonder how long or short of a time she had been trapped in there? I wonder if she remembers being safe there when she was a kitten? Even today, while I was working outside and in the garage, Riley was hanging around and from time to time she'd pay a lot of attention to that spot. When I put the bin back onto the stack of pavers, I made it with a bigger opening so in case she tries going in again, she will not be caught.

This morning while out feeding the birds and doing a few odds and ends, our neighbor on her four wheeler, was on the gravel road taking her horse deposits to her compost pile. We have not seen each other for awhile because of winter and hibernation on my part. She has talked with her vet and they are going to help us catch the cats, have them neutered or spayed and release back into our area. She probably thinks of me as a crazy, older cat lady...I am more of a crazy squirrel lady... But, she did make a statement to the effect, she was not going to have cats overrun her gravel road and ravine area. I agreed and told her I would pay for the services rendered, cause I am feeding them causing them to hang about...she seemed very happy that I volunteered that and any issues of announcing her intents to me are now resolved. Heck, if she makes the phone calls and arranges it all, happy to do my part cause that phone thing...not the best at that.

The French Broad school at the end of our road caught fire last night. Don't think it has been used as a school for quite some time but it was built in the 1920's. Beautiful building, well, until the shell of brick revealed this morning. Someone said the school was being made into studio apartments and I had also heard that artists were using the building for studio space. Roads around that area have been closed most of the day. No known injuries but hope the goats that worked outside by keeping the grass cut, didn't get hurt.

Sunday morning our minister of music announced his resignation at the end of the service. Many of us were shocked but I am willing to bet there were several there in attendance who were not. I have been in choir under many fine musicians and directors, I have been so fortunate. My type of personality and the fact I don't read music usually means I really get on the director's nerves. Also having just a blender kind of voice doesn't add much. Oh and ADD kicks in after about an hour, so I'm done and left to my own devices which may involve disruption to rehearsals until we are finished. Our minister of music gave me chances to be musical, no he wasn't crazy enough to give me a solo, but he encouraged, much to the chagrin of others, me to play percussion instruments if the song had that good beat and easy to dance to...oops, Baptist...no dancing...  As Christmas drew near last year, he asked if I would participate with the hand bell group...uh, I don't read music...he said, well, come and try, we will help you. Granted, I only played about five notes in each of the songs we did and I was totally out of my comfort zone. Truthfully, I wasn't going to do it but Roy encouraged me not to miss this opportunity and he said it will be one of those things that you'll regret if you don't do it. He was right. I got to spend time with people I love and got to know Owen on my left and Robin on my right. What a joy!  I have never met a pastor that desired everyone to come to salvation from the Lord so much, so central to his conversations. He lived out that commitment in our small community. He received his doctorate in December, with the emphasis on ministry and reaching the lost. Every Sunday morning and every Sunday night, he prayed that someone would get saved when they came to church....every time! He encouraged us and reminded us we must share the Gospel wherever we are and be a light to a lost world. He and his wife visited those who could no longer physically come to church, they visited the sick and they made hospital visits. When I had my ablation last year, he came before the procedure and prayed with us and then that evening he and his wife returned to the hospital and visited with us. That meant so much to me but especially to Roy. His wife is one of the most talented people I have ever met. A chemist by study and an artist by gift...she has both the left and right brain thing going. Her costumes and her work with musical productions here in the area will truly be missed. She is a lot of fun too! Sadly, I will not sing as well after they leave because I told her she was Naomi and I, Ruth...cause when she sang, especially when it came to the alto part...wherever she went, I went. What ever note she sang would be my note too. All these years being in church choirs, I have liked choir but not loved it. Choir is one of those activities that I have dropped so many times in life because I don't participate, always, for the right reasons...yes, I want to help glorify God in singing, that's always there, but the reasons for liking choir is, being with friends. Getting to participate in a meaningful activity and have fun and laugh and learn all at the same time...well, that's a pretty good dang thing. Well, maybe I do love choir more than I thought. We get to sing with them several more Sundays, so we have that. And that will have to sustain...

No comments: