Saturday, January 6, 2024

I Need A Price Check

 Right cheer in the mountains we are preparing for ice and then rain but little to no snow. So 🎵no snow on snow, snow on snow...in the bleak first part of winter, ice is forecasted for us although.🎵 First winter reference to In the Bleak Mid Winter and as usual practice, cramming words onto notes. Yes, that seems to be my forte. Another unusual note on music...haha...oh Nancy... I didn't hear Mary Did You Know or Happy Birthday Jesus one time...no, not ever during the Christmas season. I did hear Shepherds Pipe Carol about six times and as I have written before I still know the alto note, ok, the alto two alto notes. 

Once again we punted plans because of temps. Roy didn't want to make a longer type road trip in these very cold temps, in case of car or truck trouble. Hey, not a problem. I may not be as flexible physically but I am more flexible emotionally and planfully. Yes, I am aware of a word that doesn't exist in the grammar world but in my world, it does. 

We stopped on our way home at the BBQ truck parked across the way from the post office on the river road. We ordered a rib plate and a brisket plate each with two sides. It was all very good! I used Goode Company BBQ sauce on the brisket. Ooooh, it was almost like eating at Goode Company in Houston. Think the food truck is named 6 Pigs. It there on Thursday and Friday. The man who BBQs and runs it is a fire fighter. I'm telling you fire fighters in my experience do some awesome BBQ. 

*********

No snow nor ice, just rain. Would love to get some snow but for this rain we give thanks. I woke up around 3:30, got up and read till Roy woke up. Then I went back to sleep and slept in once again. Now, here at 8:30 I am the only one awake, cause Roy went to take a nap and The Boys have settled into their second morning nap of the day. 

Wow, the news on the Stanley Red Cup that can only be purchased at Target is making the rounds. It reminds me of a Simpson episode where Malibu Stacy talks and it is just stereotypical phrases, "like I don't know, let's ask a boy." Lisa meets with the original developer of the doll and they try to get girls interested in it because of empowerment and encouraging phrases. Crowd lined up at the toy store to get this new edition, Lisa Lionheart. Only to be topped by the Malibu Stacy team introducing a new version of the doll, now with a new hat. Everyone runs to that display leaving Lisa a bit disheartened not lionhearted. That is what this seems to be. Stanley cups, now in girl colors. When we first bought the house here and when workmen came to the house, I had a Stanley thermos and work boots by the back door indicating that a man was in residence. Whenever more info on a husband had to be given I just said he works for an oil and gas company. Most of these guys took that phrase and had Roy working on the pipelines or offshore or drilling for oil when in fact he was in an office building in downtown Houston. 

A long time ago in Houston, before a hurricane, I had gone to the grocery store not to panic buy but to pick up a few things we needed in the course of daily life. When the hurricane tracking maps came out that is when I shopped for a storm. We needed some bananas but the panicked shopper next to me was all in a tizzy. In a low tone I mentioned to her that these were the last bananas available before the rain and wind hit Houston. Never in a million years did I think that she would say anything out loud. I thought she would just pick up a few more than she needed. Her voice up several octaves she repeats what I just said. There was such a rush over to the bananas. I kind of felt bad I had done that but it kind of amused me. This came to mind yesterday as we stopped in Publix to get some strawberries and dinners that Roy eats in the evenings. With the impending...drizzle, with the chance of freezing rain, ice or snow, it didn't feel panicked. Felt like a normal Friday. While Roy checked out, I waited by the doors. I had gone back to check on something and upon returning the line behind him was a bit long. Easier not to plow through the line with the suspicious look from others that I was trying to deceive them and cut in line. Anyway, I saw the manager put in the code on the phone to make announcements throughout the store. How tempting to call out for a price check. There is something in my memory of a store in San Marcos my freshman year. Murrays, ran by Ma and Pa with the help of a couple of cousins. In my eyes they were all ancient. Way back before bar codes products were priced with a price gun. Ma worked the register and if we college students took too much time in an aisle, Ma would call for a price check on items that we brought with us to check out.  Suspicious that we had changed the stickers with a cheaper product, she wanted to make sure. Two lines to check out but only one was ever open. Ma would grab that microphone and call out for a price check on chips, beanie weenies and other food purchased by college students. That store was about the size of a 7 11 and didn't need a microphone to call out over the noise and chaos. Uh, there wasn't noise of chaos. Never many in the store. Texas State bought up that property long ago and Murrays is no more except for those fortunate enough to have shopped there back in the long ago.  Back to now...anyway, we had to go across the road to Ingles  but Ingles was a whole nother feeling. A bit of panic in the air, long lines to check out and some shelves picked over. Oh to know the code to call out for a price check or ask if the last bananas had been stocked before the snow or ice or freezing rain or....drizzle. I would have even had fun calling for clean up on aisle 7. 

No comments: