Saturday, January 20, 2024

Snow Days Are Here Again!

 What a difference a full night's sleep makes. I went to bed early last night and slept right through till Roy got up earlier this morning. I was running on empty after the lack of sleep and taking care of stuff that took lots of energy yesterday. The reports of black ice this morning is ticking upwards. Even though we are above freezing, road temps can be below freezing especially in shaded areas of the roads. 

We used the first of the Amish ground beef we bought and froze into pound portions this week. We made sloppy Joe's and wow, what a difference it made in the taste. No antibiotics in the meat. 

I wrote about my collection of Mead notebooks the other day and I have quite the collection of another type of notebook with even narrower lines. I had a collection of planners and Bible study themed notebooks but just because one has the notebook or planner, does not translate into usage, thereof. 

It has been snowing most of the day. At times we couldn't see much past the road. The flakes huge, the wind rather strong causing the drifts of snow lying on the branches of our fir trees to be whipped up into the air, almost in a spinning fashion. Then the snow showers came a little slower with the snow not falling that quickly. I have spent a great portion of the day being mesmerized by the snow show. In between observing and napping, I have worked on the lesson for Sunday. There has been one snow plow come by not so much to scrape but to salt the roads. We have been below freezing since the later part of the morning. The roads will be dicey this evening with the low being 11 and the high tomorrow 18. I thought wouldn't this be a fun time to be staying at The Inn on the Biltmore Estate...big fireplaces with roaring fire, the beauty of lunch in the library taking in all the beauty while being ensconced in a beautiful and charming place. Snow tends to quiet things down at bit. More are being cautious on the road but even now while writing a loud motorcycle flashed by the windows.  My cat besties spent most of the afternoon with me. Mr Mo snuggled up close and GMoey wrapped up in a barefoot dreams blanket. He doesn't share too often. Fortunately, Mr Mo and I shared the long styled heating pad. Sure helps my hip.   

*********

Yep, since yesterday morning we have had snow on snow, snow on snow. The northwest backflow proved to be a strong one, sending bands or streamers down into the valleys and breaking containment in and from the higher elevations. These streamers wrung out the moisture, thus we received about three inches of snow. If the above sounds like I know what happens with a northwest flow, it is just this, I am a good listener when Hunter Ward gives the weather updates. 

Around 2:15 am I got up to check all the faucets to check drippage. All were doing fine but I felt compelled to stay up and come downstairs. This was one of those times where I could go back to sleep. Thought, I'll wait for the dishwasher to start and then I'll head back to bed. A quick glance out the window and it was still snowing a little bit. Then, before I knew it, the house went dark. I sat there counting the seconds for the generator to kick in. Then it did, light was restored. Duke sent a text estimating a 5:30 am restoration. Set the kitchen clocks and resumed the dishwasher cycles. The outage affected about 220 homes but you could see in the distance up on the ridge that those homes had not been affected. That young couple that moved in this week will have quite the weather stories to tell. The second house, two story, just dropped in price but saw the photographer over there after the cleaning had been done. The house has some nice touches but those two bedrooms upstairs are tiny. Finally, around 3:30 I headed back to bed and went to sleep with the welcomed drone sound of the generator. Guess Roy felt since I had been on duty it was time for the changing of the guards. He got up, let The Boys out of the bonus room and then turned on the coffee pot. The electricity came back on around 5:13 am. I got up a little after 6:00. The main road in front of our home has not been plowed or salted yet this morning. A few brave souls have driven by and driving safely. Of course there are the few that drive like a bat out of heck. Makes me want to sit on the front porch and shake my fist at them. You know, act like an old lady but this old lady isn't going to get frostbite to do so. 

Well, I had forgotten, but eight years ago today I had my hip replaced after tripping at the Cracker Barrel in Lafayette Louisiana. What is so eerie is comments made by friends who have now passed away. It kind of shakes you up a bit. 

Thursday, I ordered some larger pottery mugs from a lady who is a talented potter. Everything she makes and sells goes into a local ministry to help people. We like big coffee mugs and we are trying to get away from mugs made in a foreign land. We have several pieces of her pottery and we have given her pottery as gifts. We are all lined up for the March throw. Yahoo! 

Well, now to face the cold, cold day. Trying to keep the water flowing as not to freeze. Laundry day is certainly in order.


No comments: