Thursday, January 18, 2024

Nimrod and Poindexter

 Another cold morning but with it the hope and fact of getting above freezing today. It took a while for me to fall asleep last night but around 12:30 am I was awake again. I got up and moved into the front bedroom. We have heat pumps here and after the temps hit low, it just works to maintain with a few times of going to auxiliary heating. You just watch the dollars add up in heating costs. This has been happening since our recent descent into the freezer around here, but I haven't been awake. This means we are in the drip faucet stage and while we feel pretty confident about the downstairs, cause we program the dishwasher to run at 2:00 am, upstairs is a different story. Tonight the low temps are manageable but Friday into Saturday, another artic blast. Next week have highs in the 60s. Just like Texas NC weather can be all over the place but the mountain variable is certainly an interesting factor to all of this. 

Robin Blu is closing in Waynesville. Since they moved from their Hazelwood location I haven't shopped there. They are on Main Street and thinking about parking or the lack of kind of made the decision for me. Lord knows, I have saved a lot of money not going there. Always had the best jewelery selection as well as interesting journals, decor' and the like. They are open until the end of March but after eleven years, they are closing. I have been around for ten of those years. 

Talked with my cousin yesterday. She has always been such an encourager and supporter of my blog. In our conversation, text first, then talk...anyway she asked if I knew Grandma and Grandpa D's favorite scripture or life verse. No, I couldn't recall but I do remember that Grandma loved the song Precious Memories and Grandpa loved Out of The Ivory Palace. We must have talked for over an hour and with the conversation a lot of laughter. We also touched on the sensitive subjects when it came to family dynamics and such from the long time ago, but not for too long. 

So, studying Nimrod and the Tower of Babel is a whole lot more interesting than I originally thought. One of the resources I am using is a commentary first published in 1922. Meditative type thoughts on the major theme, yet while doing my own research yesterday, the author quoted a paper that was originally published as a spoof and as I read it, the spoof paper was to show how if anything is put into Christian-ease writing, we can be prone to believe it cause of the style. I asked Roy if he knew anything about this manuscript and my walking commentary said he had no knowledge of it. While this quote he used is really good, it is really false, so I won't be using it. The manuscript, spoof, was originally published in 1817. Guess not having the ability to Google it up caused the misuse. Even back in the day, people fell for this kind of stuff. You can find it all over the place today in all kinds of denominations, churches and leaders. It might sound good but it is not always the truth or even a half truth. Back to Nimrod, he is relevant in the twenty first century. His attention to control, his attention to elevating mankind to compete against God and win. I'm still studying so nothing definite to write about this morning but I will leave you with this and I don't know that I have ever heard this or not, but building the Tower of Babel in entrenched in the fear that God would flood and destroy the world again. The tower is not a tower of power in the beginning but a tower of fear and not trusting in God's promise. When talking to Roy about this I mentioned that it seems futile to build a tower on flat land between two rivers. Why not on top of a mountain? Well, practical living in the mountains answers that question, that's a lot of work bringing supplies and such up a mountain as well as this fact that anyone who has ever lived in a mountainous area for anytime at all will tell you, you are always looking for flat land. A garden on the side of the hill is hard, flat garden space in the yard...oh so much easier. The bottom line with Nimrod and his people...they wanted to make a name for themselves. Nimrod seems like a nerdy name just like the old board game Mystery Date. No one wanted to get Poindexter. Remember the song? Open the door for your mystery date." 

Being up all night coupled with the additional stress of trying to get the gate lock unfrozen certainly has taken it out of me. We tried to leave for grocery shopping around 11:00 am but the gate lock was frozen. Roy was going to pour hot water on it but I suggested we google it up. Hot water was not the answer. WD 40 or rubbing alcohol. Hand sanitizer works too but not for us. Truthfully, I don't think Roy used enough. So we linked all our outdoor extension cords for Christmas decorations and I got a hand dryer. That did the trick. We were finally on our way after we got everything else put up. After we got home and had a late lunch, I took a nap and it was a long nap. I'm still exhausted. I decided not to go to Bible study tonight because I will probably be asleep by 8:00 pm. 

We have another round of very cold weather. Tomorrow won't be too bad, maybe a dusting of snow, but Saturday the high is 17 and the low is 4. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think tonight is our last night of hard freeze, 27. Nothing compared to what you’ve been having. Hope you sleep better tonight.
Love the discussion on Nimrod. I need to go back and check that out.