Monday, January 8, 2024

Rain and Wind Here It Comes Again

 A sunny Monday and it is also a weather aware day. Tomorrow, rain and wind. Guess it is time to bring in the LSU flag for the season. Normally, it is down by now with the key emphasis on normally. Ain't nothin' around here being done normally going on nigh these last eight years. Just took down the few and really it should be very few Christmas decorations. Even though we don't celebrate old Christmas, I'll just think to myself that yes we do. 

Over the weekend I read two articles on the opposite end of the scale, loving living here and not so much living here. In between an article on what to do to love living here. I have never not, oh a double negative so early on this morning, loved living here. Well, in August of 2015 I came close to thinking what have we done, but that was an emotional summer and everything felt turned upside down. I do know that is the only time Roy had to make an emergency trip here and I am forever thankful for that. The people who don't like living here find it difficult to make friends. That wasn't the case for me. If you figure in Appalachian history, for years and years people come here and try to change everything to be more like the place where they came from. Seriously, don't get that. I will mention I miss our Rancho de Five home and if we could move it here, oh that would be wonderful. We can't so no extra storage and a small primary on suite bathroom, look who has been watching HGTV, is just fine. Very livable. Even with houses being built across the way, we have a great view of long range mountains. In the back, we can watch our neighbor's horses frolic. Yes, animals run and frolic here because it isn't so dang hot. Closer in we watch The Feral Fam. I talked with one lady randomly in the grocery store. She wasn't too happy being in the mountains, even at our lower altitude. I asked her if she went to church. Well kind of she said. You have to go enough times for people to notice you've come back several times. Also encouraged her if on first try, you miss, try another church. The article on loving life here resonated more with my spirit. The author describes certain scenes he passes while driving from Marion to Waynesville and I can picture those same mountain views. He and his wife like to hike and one of his loves is that they can get on a trail right outside their backyard. I'd feel guilty a lot if I lived there cause I would ought myself to death. I ought to be hiking and such, but I would turn toward the kitchen, make a hot chocky and pick up my book to resume reading where I left off. I'd feel more guilty about not reading than not hiking. We are making a list of day trips for this upcoming spring and summer. Limited hiking as I am more and more like my mom, "can we see it from the car?"

Yesterday, before class we are all visiting as per usual. One of the three Karen's in class, called me over. We have three ladies in the class named Karen, well two and the other spells her name with an o. This is not a descriptive term that we see used in a not so good way. Anyway, Karen begins to tell me about her mother's experience in our class last Sunday. Her mom was visiting. Y'all, I got a little nervous because Karen's mom was a pastors wife and maybe a tad more serious than me. Karen tells me her mom loved the class cause you learn and laugh. Instead of having lunch and learns, never did like them for various reasons, but our class could be a laugh and learn. Wow! That made me so happy all day. Put a spring in my step. I need to mention once again our lesson this week was on judgement. Yes, an important topic and all, but sometimes I think if your class are all believers, maybe just maybe we should reflect on Noah, who walked with God more than the people who rejected the Lord. Yes, we need to keep judgement in mind as we talk to those who do not know the Lord...well anyway, we looked more at Noah's life and obedience than we did at the scoffers and rebellious ones. And...what a perfect Sunday to pull out an oldy goldy, Rise and Shine. Around high school time, this song became a favorite of youth groups. Corny, rhyming lines with actions and claps, what's not to love except it will get on your nerves. I think only one class member participated with me and I am ever thankful Judy C. We have another lesson on Noah and the Arks, doesn't that sound like a 70s pop rock group? Just might have to pull out the second and third verse.  

One of the ladies in our class was baptized yesterday. Yay! Fun celebrating with her. After her baptism, Roy and I left due to the practice of no big church January for me. Keeps good health rolling right along. 

It is exciting around here this afternoon. We used the new vacuum cleaner and wow, what a great job! I, mean, we were inspired to move things around. We have been talking about this for months and today, we moved the recliner that is causing my hip problems out to the front porch. Can't put it in the garage cause the cats would mess it up. It has some life in it, just not for us. When my knees were so bad, I used the right side arm to pull myself up and out of the deep recliner which cause some stress to that side. In the midst of all this The Boys are not happy with the change. Buddy used to get so upset if just a chair was moved. They are not at that stage, but the displeasure is apparent. 

The LSU flag is put up till the fall. Sounds like we are going to get a lot of wind and rain tonight into tomorrow. Roy worked out and picked up strawberries this afternoon. We are batting down the hatches. I can use the time for study and reading. Until later....

No comments: