Saturday, January 27, 2024

Named For His Fifth Grade Girlfriend

 It is one of those non productive days. Oh, yes, there is plenty productive things that need tended to but a bit of relaxing after a few attempts to get going have done gone and went. I culled through some books and several have formed into a stack of books to be given away, the discovery of books forgotten tendered the action of them returning to the shelf to be read or given away on another day. 

Last week bitter cold with snow in the forecast. Today, this week, much warmer and rain. Today was supposed to be filled with rain but it more overcast and drizzly. We even had a bit of fog this morning. Tomorrow is the day that begins the deluge. We had a bit of a drought going into winter but think the seasonal precip is taking care of that. Roy just went out with all the smushed egg shells to put in the garden where his veggies grow. Adding calcium to the soil. 

We did our Wednesday thing of Publix but we weren't needing a lot. Just got some of the dinners Roy likes and a few other things. Highlight of the trip was seeing our friend who went to University of Florida and we have a great time giving one another a difficult time about football. Last year, baseball as well. She works there and we don't see her often. 

******

I think this hair thickener is working. I can see some growth and filling in. Of course I should have taken a before picture. I've also read that castor oil is good too. Organic is the best, so I have read. 

Yesterday I learned on FB that a friend from a long time ago has passed away and is dancing on the streets of gold. Knowing Frank, he and Daryl Armstrong have organized a volleyball game on the courts of gold. I met Frank playing volleyball. I played on a co-ed USVBA team and we named ourselves aptly, Controlled Panic. Seeing Frank play intermural volleyball at church led me to meeting him and then inviting him to join our co-ed team. All those years playing only certain friends come to mind, Les, Ruth, Kent, Daryl and Frank. Team members came and went with job transfers or maybe even a better offer to play. We consistently won our division. Ironically, just days before Frank's cardiac arrest he and I set over to the side of the gym talking. He and Carolyn were newlyweds. He was finishing up his degree. Frank loved volleyball and he shared that he would like to coach, maybe a small to medium size private school team to start with. Then his "event" happened and he was never the same, physically or mentally. If I remember correctly they had lost him twice on the operating table. His wife Carolyn has taken care of him these last forty years or so. I have thought of them so often over the years. 

Think the lesson for Sunday is in the fine tuning stage. These two chapters are the bridge between Noah and Abraham. At first glance, I thought, you've got to be kidding me, but so much from this beginning is so much today. I was reading about the culture of learning another language and the mistake that is made all too many times is, you can know the correct usage of words but you don't have the culture of a language unless you immerse yourself into the culture. Made me think about modern day church culture and where it is headed or making a return circle. Being a young believer in the 1970's felt like we were breaking though all the old church norms. Youth musicals and mission trips. Modern translations and paraphrased versions of the Bible came out. Bibles didn't always look like Bibles...then we, grew into adulthood and began those responsibilities and meshed into the way of church, if we were some of the few that still attended. Every generation thinks they have found the new or better way of loving God and people, but like Solomon reminds us, nothing new under the sun. The minister I worked for used to tease me by saying, your generations response to God's blessings or miracles is to always sing, How Great Thou Art. Replied with his generations example. Well, yes, but your generation when you comes time to be the older ones will sing, How Great Is Our God and just maybe no one will sing with you when singing, sing with me. 

January is the month I do take a step back and regular readers know this to keep my health on the up and up. You get a lot of time to think on these things and then think on this junk. I have watched a little more than usual episodes of I Love Lucy. I've written before how my attention is more attuned to Vivian Vance. She was the perfect set up partner for Lucy. I've been catching the series where she wants to dance and sing, but mainly dance, at the Tropicana. I don't know if she had any formal dance training but she found a few steps that worked with any type of music or dance routines. She was a ground breaking actress on so many levels and still brings laughter these days. I always feel a bit sad that she didn't break out or keep stretching in her comedy. She went with what brought her there and you can't argue with that but what if...? What if she had. We will never know but in the month of hibernation besides thinking of Nimrod and the Tower of Babel, my attention is drawn to this. Nothing new here but so good to ponder. 

My cousin and I had a delightful texting conversation yesterday. I had been studying or rather looking over my notes when Mr Mo decided he wanted to nap beside me using my arm as his pillow. I saw an interesting picture from the city where I was born and that led me once again on a Google street view and map extravaganza. Until yesterday, I hadn't been able to find a picture of the school that was across the street from my grandparent's house. Yesterday, I hit paydirt and wanted to confirm that the pic was really of the elementary school. 




The first pic is the school and the second one is too but I kind of modified it to be blurry and not sharp in contrast. The second pic is somewhat of my memory. To me, as a little girl this school was more cylinder shaped, it was kind of, as well as six stories high. The dormer windows at the top gave that impression as well as the basement windows. They stopped using the school for teaching classes in 1968 but it hung around into the late seventies and used it as storage. It was torn down years ago. The elementary school I went to was one story and had several pavement playgrounds. It also had lots and lots of open area for kickball and relay races. This school had hopscotches all around it, painted on the shell/asphalt pavement. Think it had tether ball poles too. The fire escape tube always mystified me. My father went to school here as well as his fifth grade girlfriend who I am named after. Go figure....


No comments: