Sunday, August 26, 2007

Give Me Some Football- at home

Last night we went to Reliant Stadium with over 70,000 of our closest friends to see the Texans defeat the Dallas Cowboys. This is my second visit to see the Texans play and this post will be a reminder to me that I might just like seeing them on TV so much more. Next year if the offer of these tickets come around, I think I will ask Roy if he would like them and he can ask a friend to go with him. We actually had four tickets so we asked Malcolm and Lisa to come along. There was the first stop of the obligatory tail gate meet and greet or it could really be a sip and see, all I know is this, it was dang hot. Roy's watch gives a temperature reading and we were at the 99 degree mark for most of the pre game activities. I found a tree and sat in the shade for most of that time. For those of you who thought I was being anti-social, I was not. I was in survival mode. The fajitas and all the fixings were wonderful, but y'all it was dang stinkin hot. The whirl of the margarita machine next to us held a slim degree of temptation...not cause it was a margarita, but for the cool relief it would bring. I had made a note to self, that when you are at a tailgate party with co-workers, friends and the Pastor of the church, keep those longings for something cool to yourself. It was bad enough the rumors were flying once we were in the stadium because there were several sitings of Roy standing in the beer line. He was doing that for me, no I did not want a beer, but that is the only place where you can buy bottled Diet Cokes and water. The concession stands have watered down fountain drinks...but I am getting ahead of myself.



Soon we were off for the long trek to the stadium from the Green Parking Lot. We opted out of the escalator line and did a couple of the ramps only to then realize the degree of our mistake and get right in the escalator line for the continuing journey to the top of the stadium. Lisa and I were walking in the midst of rabid fans...yelling Houston...and the response was Texans. I once yelled Astros just to be different. Roy had gone on ahead and we had lost Malcolm after we all had been searched for weapons or contraband. We all met up on our concourse level and then we preceded to our seats...high up. I knew they would be high up but only when I saw the Plexiglas around the stair entrances and exits did I remember I am so afraid of heights... by the time we had crawled over friends, the Pastor and his family did my knees finally quit shaking. Actually when Eric took my hand to help me with a couple of steps did I finally feel relaxed. Thanks Eric for extending that kindness my way.



We missed the National Anthem but we were in our seats to watch the first play of the game and the excitement of 21 points put on the board by the Texans. It was really exciting and fun. I think Roy knew I was tired and asked if I would like to leave at halftime...yes I would. We made our journey back to our car in the Brown Parking Lot and headed out and headed toward home. I was asleep by 10:30 and woke up this morning at 9:00am.



You see all kinds of people at sporting events. It is a great place for people watching. As we were walking down the ramp and I was oh so comfortable in my Priva! shoes, I watched women who had worn 3-5 inch heels navigate the crowded ramp uncomfortably. We walked out with a man who was so totally drunk he could barely walk. His friend stayed near but never helped him as he tripped over his flip flops. This drunk man had crab like moves his arms curled inward and he walked sideways most of the time. I hope his friend was the designated driver.



It a wonder there aren't riots every weekend at pro football games and stadiums. There is a dangerous mixture of beer, testosterone, a violent game and scantily clad women. You can feel an edge in the whole atmosphere. I am glad that HFBC is partnering with the Texans in media and advertising. God can use the advertisement in the program and in the stadium to reach someone who is tired of filling their lives up with stuff, the need to be seen, and the desire to be a part of something that really in the big picture of eternity isn't going to mean a whole lot. If there is a church that cares to advertise with the Texans, just maybe the people in the church will care enough when I walk through the door, will be the thought and mindset of so many who are lost. I mean really, the drunk crab man probably has a hangover this morning and no clue what easy pickings he could have been to people who like to beat up weak people.



Yep, give me some football from my comfortable couch and with a Diet Coke that didn't cost more than my first car. The only drawback is, I won't let Roy shell his peanuts all over the floor like he gets to at the stadium.

4 comments:

Dana said...

I love the excitement of the crowd and the game...but I love my air-conditioned home, my comfy couch and my bathroom that doesn't have a line and hasn't been used by 500 women before me.
And let me tell you, I am so stinking afraid of heights. I feel so scared that I need to hold on to anything, anyone...and when people stand up to cheer it scares me...I want to tell them to sit down because they are going to fall...especially the drunk ones...

your word verification is
POPFUZ...too funny

The Synnott's said...

brian was there and said it was a great game...

Unknown said...

i like the feeling of being at a game but i do like to cheer at home with my whole family also! nothing replaces that!

Sassy Shae said...

I love the "live" atmosphere when attending a game. There's nothing like it. That said, I've had too many outings ruined by drunks. If they ever made an alcohol free section at these events, I'd go more often.