Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A Wee Bit Dim on Demerol

Sunday night we had Cafe Ascend. Now we just have it once a month and I try to do something different or special on that night. We have ramped up the coffee service and have live music. One time I had an artist come in and show some of his paintings. I have had another artist who wants to show their work, but I don't think it is edgy enough for the evening crowd. The work is kind of Thomas Kincaid like and is more suited for well the suited crowd at the 9:10 service. Anyway, it was sometime in Cafe Ascend that I did something to my lower back and since then I have dealt with lower back, hurts every time you move, or hit a speed bump, or cough, pain. Last night I finally decided to take something stronger than Advil and took some Demerol I have here for just a time as this. In fact I had to get up in the middle of the night and take more to deal with the pain. The first pill and the Advil PM had worn off. I woke up around 6:30 am and called Jason to let him know I would be in late. Thankfully Roy called at 8:00 or I might still be asleep. It took some time to get ready and I waited a bit before trusting myself to operate heavy machinery i.e. the car. If I sent anyone an email today and it looked like this:

dfijejitlsjfg jeijhjgjersdkf sijiejrjwpejjs;j

please forgive me, it was the drug doing the typing. I know I went through the day and did work and had conversations, but it is all a blur to me right now. What I do remember is this, I was so mellow and laid back. My mind didn't race and think of a thousand things. I was focused and did my work one step at a time instead of the usual spinning plates routine. Other people's hyperness did not affect me one bit and those who can get on my last nerve were tolerable. It was kind of nice to experience life in a slower lane today, but I don't know if that is how I would want to be all the time. Nothing funny came to me, I didn't think in rhymes, and not too much excited me. If I can stand it, I am not going to take anything tonight. Mainly because I don't think I should take strong drugs when only Buddy is here to look out for me. And since seeing that cat on the news that sleeps near people who are dying, it creeps me out when she comes to bed and sleeps next to me for any length of time. Now it doesn't bother me when she comes to bed to get her head and back rubbed and then she is off for late night time adventures in our living room.

I can tell I am coming out of my fog and easing into my real fog life. There are several other things I want to post about and normally would change topics mid paragraph, but I think I will spare you all my ramblings, run on sentences, non completed thoughts and the things that amuse me tonight.

Thanks for reading and for those of you who comment, thanks for commenting.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I hope your back gets to feeling better! One time my mother-in-law took some Ambien while she was staying the night with us. You're supposed to take that stuff in bed because it hits you so fast. She ended up taking it while she was watching Friends on tv with us and pretty much fell fast asleep while she was talking. Then we had to get her up a flight of stairs in a deep sleep. It was CRAZY!

The Synnott's said...

so calm and collective... i just dont know what to think...

Dana said...

I didn't know you hurt your back, I am so sorry...I can't take Demerol, it makes me wake up a hundred times a night in an anxiety attack and then pass back out...

Unknown said...

You should get a massage! That's my solution to all back pain.

back pain = massage