Monday, April 28, 2008

Won't Make You Cry Onion Pie


Dena sent me the recipe today. Enjoy!



Onion Pie from cookbook published by First Baptist Church, Stillwater, Oklahoma, 1992

3 c. onions, sliced
1/4 c. butter
1/2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
1.5 c. milk, scalded
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Crust:
1/2 c butter
30 small crackers, crushed

Note about the crust: The cracker crumb crust is more trouble than I care for the in kitchen, so I use Pillsbury crescent dinner rolls as the crust. Just press them into a pie plate until bottom of plate is covered. They make a great crust!

Mix cracker crumbs in 1/2 butter and press into greased, shallow 2 qt baking dish. Saute sliced onions in 1/4 c butter, then pour over crackers. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the onions.

Mix milk, eggs, salt, pepper. Pour over cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until it is set.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Ohhhh, that sounds good. Tell Dena thank you. I will definately be making this soon and my little one will enjoy it too. She has a weird liking for raw onions!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Nancy-Stillwater????That is where I live! Did Dena live here????
Missy

Dana said...

That sounds DELICIOUS! I wish I could try it...someday, I will.

The crust you use is an awesome idea, I am going to use that idea in the future for a vegetable tart I just saw on the Food Network.