Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Day Before Thanksgiving and all Through the Store...

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. We had ordered some food from the play grocery store and today is pick up time. Had my quiet time and listened to some praise and worship before leaving. I pondered wearing a HFBC shirt, but that might be going a little too far. My parking space, right in front of the door. Wow! As we all entered the store we were greeted by a man playing a keyboard and singing Christmas Carols. Nice touch. Went straight to the prepared food area and there wasn't even a line. In fact while waiting a manager and several employees asked if I had been helped. Went over and picked up some cranberry sauce and coffee. Now to check out...I pulled right up and checked out with no line. Awesome! Wonderful! I love the play grocery store...

I had a good reminder again yesterday of who I don't want to become. Had a quick look see at the cardio. There is some concern over a rash that is developing on my feet and lower legs. The rash is really my veins bruising when there has been a quick change in circulation. This new development began last week with the stress ambush I found myself involved in. It is something that bears watching...Then I went to get my second set of injections at the Ortho. At 9:45 the waiting room packed mostly with older whinny people and the noise level high. There were people in wheelchairs, on walkers and even one on a stretcher. I thanked the Lord for the ability to still walk. The couples are the ones that get my attention. It seems to be one or the other of these scenarios: spouse who does everything without complaining while the "patient" doles out commands and complaints left and right or the spouse who has given up on the "patient" and makes them do everything even though it looks to be a total pain to do so. There is all kind of sarcastic banter, it saddens me. It took awhile for patients to be seen yesterday, but it didn't matter to me because Kevin was there doing the injections. He looked at my knees and noticed that Dr. K had banged me up a bit last week. Kevin did the injections in the front of my knees yesterday. Never had that done before...no blood, no drama and no fainting.

The highlight of the day was meeting up with my nieces Megan and Erin for pedicures and shopping at the Nord. I am late, late, late so many times with birthdays, but if I do that, it is usually worth the wait. So I gave Doug his May birthday gift yesterday and he had fun shopping in the Nord. The girls didn't have a lucky shopping day. Nothing in BP or shoes caught their eye. So, I gave them checks so that they can shop at their leisure on the rest of their trip or at home. On the way home, we did the drive through pick up at Walgreens for my prescriptions. I now know I am officially old. While most people get one or two bags at the most, mine came in a big ol' Walgreen's bag. I mean really, I am picking up 5, 2 for mobility and 3 to keep my alive.

Uncle Roy and Buddy greeted us, well Buddy was interested but wouldn't come close to Doug, Megan or Erin. Buddy sat strategically to keep an eye on them and to watch my movements. After snacking on some delicious cookies from Memorial Bakery, we were off to Collina's were Dena would be meeting us for dinner. Dena is like a member of the fam and I mean that in all the best possible ways and connotations. Megan and Erin are really close to her and a trip to Houston is never complete without spending some time with Boo Foo. That is her Foo name. The girls really wanted her to come with us as we looked for Christmas lights in Mustang Sally, but Dena has a full plate right now at work and it just wasn't going to work out. Besides, there really weren't that many lights, but we had a blast laughing and drinking our hot chocky from Starbucks. I kept driving around the same streets seeing if I could fool them looking at lights. Uh, they didn't fall for it. Highland Village was the light scene last night. Uncle Roy keeps us in line and supplied with hot chocky. We made a quick trip into Anthropologie...yea, Uncle Roy was loving that place. :)

Tonight we are all going over to my parents for brisket and all the trimmings. Today, other than the quick trip to Rice, I am resting. My body is telling me I over did it yesterday.

Have a great Thanksgiving Day tomorrow. Don't forget to give thanks to God. We are recipients of so much mercy and grace. Tell friends and family, thank you. I am thankful for all of you who read my blog, whether you lurk or don't lurk.

4 comments:

Ali said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, and take it easy woman!!

Anonymous said...

Nancy, I too have a huge bag of medication. I have 8 prescription tablets that I take every day, but they keep me mainly healthy and happy! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving day

FitzandMolly said...

i am your occasional lurker. happy thanksgiving to you too. lerve you!

Jennifer said...

I am one of your lurkers too. I hope you had a great day!