Saturday, November 29, 2008

So Close....

We were so close to getting into the parking lot at Rice Stadium. We had idled along Greenbrier and then made the turn that would take us to our entrance. We sat there for the longest time, we didn't seem to move much. It dawned on me the radio wasn't on and I thought sneaky Roy who wasn't really ready to listen to Christmas songs one right after the other had distracted me and turned it off. I mentioned this to him and he was all, I promise I didn't turn it off. But we couldn't get it to turn on either. The trac light was on for traction on wet roads. How did that come on? Then I looked at the gauges, my theft light was on, then low fuel, my oil, battery and temp gauges looked like metronomes. It was freaky and we were stuck. I gunned the motor a little and everything settled down and back to normal. Roy kind of miss planned how many people would be at an inner town rivalry football game, both teams with good records, and great football weather. He has been going to Rice games and it has been nothing to leave at 2:00 and be in the seats for the kick off at 2:30. He was frustrated and he was a little harsh in how he talked. The traffic, car, and voice stressed me out. We both made the decision to blow off the game and just go eat lunch.

We decided to get on the freeway to charge the ol' battery and we decided on Sweet Tomatoes. Roy totally apologized about his frustration and said what would you like to do? Where would you like to go? Dang it, I couldn't really think of anything... But then I remembered how much he hates to go into Pier One. So, that is what I wanted to do. He wasn't thrilled but he was agreeable. Turned out OK for him. He found some new coffee/tea mugs. He is a huge hot tea fan. I found some place mats on sale for 98 cents each... So, we both had stellar finds at the Pier One.

Off to the Kroger for yogurt and bananas then returning home. Just as we pulled into our parking lot again I noticed the radio off and the gauges doing the haunted car thing again. But this time the battery gauge was in the orange beyond low. Roy got the cold stuff out of the car and then took off for the Shell station where the battery died as he pulled up. We are the proud owners of a new 3 year battery.

I love how God took car of us in the midst of the ordinary. This could have happened far away from home or in less desirable circumstances such as stranded in the Rice parking lot after the victorious Owls won. It could have happened at the airport when I was dropping off my friend. Uh, that would look great, can't start my car on Thanksgiving weekend in front of the departure area. It happened when I was with Roy and not by myself. God watches us and knows our coming and goings, when we rise and when we sit. Tonight we have given Him some praise, He knows the times...He knows the seasons. I have been reading and praying Proverbs 3 for my friend especially toward the end of the chapter about not fearing the storm of the wicked and not being afraid to lie down...to be led by wisdom because all the ways of wisdom are peaceable. Don't you know I was rejoicing and praying Proverbs 3 for me today.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

What is Roy's favorite tea?

Nancy Mon said...

Hey Amanda,
Roy loves Earl Gray tea in the morning. But he really likes African Nectar, Orange Dolce and a few other herbal teas during the day. I buy him a variety but the above are what he likes right now. I just remembered that you are a tea drinker. Y'all could compare notes. What is your favorite?