Tuesday, November 18, 2008

An Eventful Morning

I had an early morning appointment at the orthopedic office for my second round of injections in my knees. Hate the early time, but it is much easier to find a parking place. Kevin, the guy who usually does the injections is out sick today. Dr. Kruetzer did the injections. The right knee injection stung a bit more than usual. Then he did the left...oh my! He removed the needle and blood was flowing out of my knee like a fountain. In my mind I am thinking...there is a fountain filled with blood. He gives me this big pad and says hold that and stop bleeding. What? Guess he thinks I can do this on command. He said, I am going to have one of the girls come and clean up your blood. Here is a little known fact about me:

Mention of blood +seeing blood+ warm room = Me fainting

My head was swirling, the room was getting smaller, I am sweating like a pig and I begin fanning myself with wild abandon. I do not want to faint. I tell you, I felt like a well known choir member who has fainted several times in the loft on Sunday mornings cause she is wearing wool and a choir robe, but I digress. The nurse realizes I am heading to the floor and will faint into my very own pool of blood. She being like 5 feet tall, maybe 90 pounds and me...6 feet tall and well, you know, more than 90 pounds was a huge battle for her. She is propping me up against the wall while straddling already mentioned pool of blood. Somehow I don't faint. Although after all that, she looked like she needed to lay or lie down. She barely got the words out...stay here as long as you need. Well, I know they need the room, so after a bit, I get up and walk to the front to pay my bill. Second round of dizzy hits. I ask for a glass of water, they inform me there is a water fountain in the hall. They look at me and know I have gone whiter than white...I am looking rather pale. They hand me a clear plastic cup, I think they want a specimen and they say, here you can put water in this. From the water fountain??? Uh, no thanks, I don't know where that cup has been. I mange to make my way out into the hall, stop at the water fountain, take the elevator downstairs and stumble into my car. I waited a little while and then drove to Starbucks. I go back and get the second set of shots next Tuesday. Gee, I hope Kevin feels better and is there to give me my injections.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Hope you are feeling better now! Blood and I are friends, but not if it is a fountain. I feel like I was in that warm room with you!

Anonymous said...

Wow - that's a little bit crazy and scary! Glad you didn't faint and I hope all of that was worth the shots!

LMS

Profbaugh said...

I now know we must be sisters separated at birth--just too much in common!! I'll tell you what. I got a little faint just reading your post.

Glad you made it to Starbucks. I'll pray Kevin is back on Tuesday.

Much love,
~Cheryl

FitzandMolly said...

i am so glad you didn't fall. again. ;)

Ali said...

Uh-oh! Scary biscuits! I dont watch when they take my blood. The problem is I seem to have pretty manky veins, so it takes forever to find one to get blood out of. In the past they have even been known to give up completely! Next Tuesday will be much better for you, I just know it :-)