Friday, November 7, 2008

Friday Thoughts Out Loud

Please tell me others do this. I say things out loud that I am thinking. And until I hear the reaction of people, I truly believe I have just thought it, not said it out loud. This happened to me Thursday morning in our Ministries Staff meeting. It happened right after Cindy's devotion on salvation and Jason asked the group for any additional thoughts. It seems Ben is the only one that has something to share and as he is sharing he references that oldie but goodie, song over sung, song over referenced from way back in the day, 1985...that one time "contemporary" tune over remembered by my generation, Thank you for Giving to the Lord by Ray Boltz. And as he says that I am thinking to myself, and Ray Boltz is gay! Only I didn't think it to myself, I said it OUT LOUD. Well, that disrupts whatever mood was in that room and everyone starts laughing. I asked Harlie who is sitting next to me, oh did I say that out loud? Ben isn't happy, Cindy isn't happy, Carolyn is giving me the universal sign of zipping my mouth (that usually makes me do the opposite but you know heart attack thing and trying to stay calm, so I let it go) and I'm waiting for the laughter to die down. Yea, I did it. On our break I did apologize to Ben and he is OK with it all. Cindy came to me and said she had worked on that devo till after midnight and for it to end that way...although technically the devo was over, and she stood there for awhile, so I apologized to her as well. I think that is what she was looking for. Anyway, for the rest of the meeting there were so many more opportunities to say something, but I didn't. I tried to stay focused complete with filter.


Nancy Mon went walking down the hall
Nancy Mon had a great fall
All Roy's attention
And Buddy on site
Couldn't help Nancy Mon feel alright

It happened again, I fell. Didn't trip, my knee didn't give... It feels like someone pushing me down. Last night I had just returned home from an especially good shopping night at The Nord. Roy had met me at the car to help bring in some Diet Cokes and bottled water that was in the trunk. It was about time for me to bring in all my Mildred stuff from Sunday too. So, we come inside and I'm bringing the Mildred bag to our bedroom, when I fall splat in the hallway. I am so thankful for the bag cause it cushioned my fall. Buddy runs for cover and Roy comes running to assist. Only I hear him laughing... Now, I know he laughs for a moment every time someone falls or gets hurt, but that sound of laughter just didn't sit well with me last night. He's trying to help me, I am assessing damage and Buddy is playing in my hair. Right arm bruised as well as my knees. Pride injured mostly.

Today Buddy had her rabies shot and her pedicure at the Vet. Since she was such a good girl, we brought Buddy home some new toys from Target. One is a funny looking crinkly bug with organic catnip. I have never seen Buddy take to a toy as the one with organic catnip. She is rolling around on it, has it up to her nose, and then rubbing her head all over it... She laid there in the kitchen on her back, holding onto the toy for a long time. That caused her to have the ya ya's and she's full of energy. Hmm...we may have to have an intervention.

Roy and some of his friends are going to the Rice football game tomorrow. He is not going into the office, a miracle, and he is going to take a bunch of clothes over to the MTC for me. He is also taking our computer back to Micro Center. It still isn't right and half of it doesn't work right. So if I don't post for a bit, that is the reason.

8 comments:

Ali said...

Oh Nancy, this is so funny, and this is so YOU!. Sure you only verbalised what everyone else was more than likely thinking!!

My husband did this not so long ago, I was meeting some people for lunch and as he dropped me off he said 'do you think I could stay for lunch' to which someone replied 'yes' and he genuinely didn't realise he had spoken out loud.

But with him it's a sort of an idiot thing ... with you its real cute :-)

Etta said...

D'you know what Nancy, my gran used to say, "better to let it out there than keep it in". She might have been talking about gas, but sure, the principle's the same!

Anonymous said...

Nancy
You and I have a lot in common - I am also a faller!! I have fallen so many times in so many different places. I have been known to grab hold of someone and bring them down too!
I went for the day to Scotland and managed a fantastic fall in a very posh shop!
In the same week I fell three times - breaking my glasses during one of these episodes.
I would love to tell you that I have a very sympathetic daughter who cared for me sensitively during my moments of terror but unfortunately she just burst into uncontrolable laughter!! (Hope that puts her down in you estimation)

Dana said...

Nancy! You are usually the epitome of grace and agility...what in the world?

Glad you are okay.

And as for the meeting, it needed a little laughter...it was all way too stiff at the moment.

Michelle said...

I almost felt like I was in the room with you! Do you know how many other people were probably thinking the same thing??? Anyway..those meetings need some lightening up! (sorry...did i just say that OUT LOUD??)

Lauren said...

Okay, about this:
"I say things out loud that I am thinking."

I have a total phobia about that. I am always thinking about what I would say in response to such-and-such or commenting on what's going on around me in my head, and I have a phobia that I will actually say it out loud, because I have caught myself doing it when by myself at home. :)

Becky Kiser said...

it is stories like this one that makes me really want to be in those meetings again. that and the incredible delicious bagels and coffee. i so wish i could have seen your facee right after you said and when both of them confronted you. :) oh the joys of working at a church.

Unknown said...

Nancy that was so funny! I loved that you said it out loud because I felt like everything that was said that morning I had heard over and over and over and over again.