Friday, June 12, 2009

Blackberry Pickin'


Several years ago, Peggy asked me to go blackberry picking with her. She and I were both used to picking along fences on country roads. That meant wearing long pants and sleeves with protective shoes to keep you from getting bitten by a snake. She had heard of this place out in Magnolia, Kings Orchard, and wanted to know if I would like to go with her to pick some blackberries. We wore all our protective gear only it was futile because the vines were up on wires, the grass was cut, and no snakes in sight. We had a good system, she picked low, I picked high. The only element that got in our way of successful picking is my inability to withstand heat. One of those heat related episodes began and we tried to get under some shade trees toward the front of the farm. Once we got there, all 6' of me tried to fit in our little red wagon they provide to haul around the picked fruit. Picture basketball players sitting in those little chairs by the court, all that is seen is arms and legs. Well, that is what I looked like in that little red wagon. Peggy went back to the entrance to buy some water to help me cool down. Everyone who passed me asked, "are you alright?" Oh yes, love being the shade of red and sweating enough for 12 people and cramming myself into this wagon.


The trip to the Sprint store wasn't as bad as the above story, but I have told y'all about my total lack of patience with computers and phones. I really liked that little red Centro. I wasn't quite ready yet to go Blackberry picking. Maybe it's just God's way of making me use my brain a little more strategically. Maybe it needed a little more stimulation than what I am giving it these days and making my brain work harder than knowing what machines to use while working out, reading stories set in the South, or knowing the grocery store aisles by heart. As of last night I am a reluctant owner of a Blackberry 8330. My Palm Centro bit the dust.


Last night Roy and I made our way over to the Sprint store. Roy only has two gears when it comes to doing this kind of stuff, the tough lawyer/jot and tittle accountant or laid back, funny nice guy. Since Roy had just come home from work he was much more in the tough guy mood. I felt like I played peace maker between he and the Sprint representative. Kind of like good cop/bad cop. I have to say the Sprint guy was good with getting my info transferred over to my new phone. The screen on my Centro broke and he had to remember where the touch pad was to get the info to transfer over. Getting my email moved over went smoother than expected. It is always a hassle. We were there a little over 2 hours. That's not bad on these kind of things. The only time I got a little nervous was toward closing time when a group came in. We didn't think anything of it, but all the Sprint people were on alert for a crime to happen. So, then I went on alert and wanted to get everything over and done with.

Now one would think that having a husband who uses his crackberry constantly would be a tad helpful to his loving and adoring wife. I had so many questions and I thought they were coherent questions but he told me he could not make hide nor hair of what I was asking him. Then I realized that I was asking about options he has never used on his Blackberry. While trying to be familiar with all the options, I asked another question. He brought me all the info that came with the phone and suggested I might like to read it to get all my questions answered.

Today I have read all my info, signed up for the online owners lounge and feel like I am making great progress. I have found a few helpful hints and I've shared them. All this talk of blackberries makes me hungry for some. I do make a mean blackberry cobbler. Oh well, I think I have enough of a mess on my hands without having some purple stains to go along with it all.

2 comments:

Ali said...

Enjoy your new phone! When I changed my phone there it was a tossup between a blackberry and the iPhone. The blackberry just sounded a bit too intellectual for me! I hope you get to love your blackberry ad much as I love my iPhone :-)

Ulovebeth said...

I ate some blackberries today. On sale from CM @ 1.99. VERY tart.

And what happened to your Centro?! That's what I have. How did it bite the dust?

(Did you know the Centro was the phone used on 27 Dresses? I pretend like that's not the reason I got it.)

I have to hold out til April 2010 for an iPhone, if I can get one and not make it a god.