Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Slow Down From the Fast Track

Today was an especially fun morning at VBS. Well, I have to admit I was late. Overslept. Roy even called me at 7:20 and I hung up, rolled over back into the sleepy dreamy state. It was another phone call that woke me up. Once I rolled into VBS, I worked in the snack room most of the morning. It was pretty much fun even though food service is lacking in our home. Peeling and slicing came back to me, just like riding a bike. You get to see a lot more people in the snack room, it's the happening place.





After VBS, Lisa and I met for lunch at the Ashland House. It was full but we finally found a parking place. We both had the chicken enchiladas and they were muy bueno. The guacamole was very good. What a blast catching up, talking about so much and of course laughing. God is so good to give me some of the best friends in the world.



It has been fun to learn who reads the Monablog. Several came up and introduced themselves or told me they are a fan. Thanks for letting me know you are out there. Pretty much Monablog is just the journey I'm on. Of course always the journey with the Lord.


At this moment in time, in this season of my life, I'm enjoying the slow down, a slower pace, and a little bit more of time to think things through. It is amazing to actually enjoy the process and not be so destination oriented. I have a feeling this season will soon be coming to an end after my father's appointment this afternoon. Then surgery will be decided upon or postponed. For that period of time I will be concerned with my mom and her well being. I'll make sure she gets to the hospital to visit my dad as he recuperates from heart surgery. But I digress, because it is always important to know where you are in transition and I have already placed myself slap dab in the middle of that and he hasn't even been to the Dr yet. So, I will go back to the original thought at the beginning of this post, slowing down. I subscribe to several enewsletters and one that I enjoy so much is written by Robyn Waters at RW Trend. Here is a little slice of info from her newsletter.


It’s an interesting synchronicity that the recent issue of Elle magazine had a tidbit about Slow Travel. It’s a movement that encourages people to commit to one destination per trip for a week or more, and to explore it in concentric circles, first becoming familiar with the inner circle, rather than dashing to distant must-sees.Like the Slow Down Festival, Slow Travel is an offshoot of The Slow Food Movement, which emphasizes connection—connection to food, connection to families, and in the case of travel, connection to local peoples and cultures.


The Independent Traveler (www.IndependentTraveler.com) suggests that Slow Travel will help you avoid post-vacation burnout. A recent article titled “The Art of Slow Travel” promotes taking time to really enjoy your journeys. This implies more trains, hikes and bikes than airplanes and automobiles, but it’s not so much a particular mode of transportation as it is a mindset. Slow Travel promotes less manic sightseeing and more taking in your surroundings at a relaxed pace. It allows you to form a stronger connection to the place you’re visiting. With a ‘slow’ itinerary you’ll stay in one place long enough to recognize your neighbors and shop in the local markets. It’s also more environmentally friendly.Slow Travelers assume they don’t have to see everything in one trip—there will be other trips. They tend to opt for holiday rentals—homes that are fully equipped so you can move in and start living--instead of hotels, where you tend to drop your bags and run. The idea is that you settle in to a place to ‘live’ instead of just ‘stay’ at your destination, so you can experience a place more intensely. Summer is here, and for many, that means vacation.


If you’ve ever come home from a vacation feeling more exhausted than you were before you left, you might want to consider this quietly emerging solution to tourist burnout—Slow Travel.


Excitedly, this is where I find myself right now and I am absolutely loving it. I am rediscovering things I love to do, shop and eat. OK, I never really lost that, but now neither is done too much by agenda. It is the joy of the moment. I love spending extra time with friends, especially my close friends. There were way too many times everything else called out for our attention. Roy's hectic and harried schedule has slowed too. So we are enjoying our time together without our minds boggled down with work and busyness. OK. Roy still thinks about work but it helps not to have competing "war or can you believe this" stories coming from both of us. It has been wonderful to have several books going and actually reading them not at breakneck speed, but taking time to savor and reflect. Heck, they aren't even "spiritual" books, but there have been wonderful ideas and themes to reflect upon. And I have found interest in the stories and I'll postpone finishing the book. After losing 70 pounds I am enjoying treating myself to little joys along the way. It is not done selfishly, but with celebration and thanksgiving to be alive and enjoying life that God has so graciously extended. It was about this time last year that began a heart journey that has had a, and should I be full of drama, DRAMATIC change in my life.

Today in the snack room, we helped people slow down and take a rest. People would get their snack on and during the lull (there weren't that many of those) we would do the refilling of bowls, trays and baskets. Such a fun week. I'll be will appreciative of a slower pace next week and in the midst of the slower pace, several fun things with friends. Thanks God for this wonderful season of refreshment...you know refreshing, not food. Although the food has been very good in this season.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I love this post.