Saturday, June 6, 2009

More Nothing Special Observations

Roy is my hero. He just got back from the Micro Center with a small keyboard to plug in a USB port. It is wonderful to type and not have to hold down a key hoping that the letter would appear. Sometimes it appeared many times or double times but mainly not at all. It won't take too much time to adjust to the smaller keyboard and it fits in the computer bag. He also got a wireless mouse. That Roy, he's the best!

This has been a fun week. I don't know why especially since it was pretty much the regular. Well, with the exception of Dena being on vacation. We had a chance to grab a late lunch on Wednesday and even have some time for a little bit of shopping. I went with her as she ran a couple of errands after our lunch at Macaroni Grill. Mac Grill has recently been rediscovered by us. Roy and I used to eat at the original one outside of San Antonio when we visited friends in the area. I think it is Westheimer that has been the deterent in the past few years and traffic jams around the Galleria that has kept me away. I've enjoyed rediscovering it and the fabulous rosemary bread. Dena and I ran over to the scary Palais Royal in Northwest Mall. She found what she was looking for, but we both discovered some of the cutest photo albums there and made a return trip to the check out center.

Yesterday, we tried Sylvia's Enchiladas across the street from Second Baptist. It was OK, but won't be on the top of the list for returning. The best part of eating there was afterwards going into Super Suppers. Now there is a place I will be making a return trip. You know me, if someone else is willing to do the cooking, I am so supportive of that effort. For $12.00 you can get some tasty entrees that feed 3-4 people. And since they are frozen, they are good in the freezer for several months. This happily helps me in my mood eating since I don't have to plan the week in advance and someone else has cooked. Believe me, to make anything of any substance, I would have to totally stock the pantry because I do not have the basics in any form or fashion. Here of late, I have wanted to eat at home in order for Roy and I to go to the CLC, me to walk and him to work out. Then Dena and I went over to Whole Foods where we both found what looked good, more rosemary bread and small scones. She got some lemon cookies. We did the co-op thing and shared so we all had a little bit of everything. At some point in Whole Foods, it hit me how tired I was and in great need of a nap. On the way to dropping off Dena, we stopped at Panera's for a cappuccino to go. No sign of the guy wanting $35.00 to help his friend get a tow from Uptown Park.


Now that happened on Monday, the guy wanting money and yesterday while at the Chevron station a man came up to me asking for money to get gas. He had this huge story and the whole time I was thinking, it sounds good, but there are points that just don't make sense. I didn't give him any money because I think the whole thing was a scam. With unemployment and such, this seems to be on the rise. What do you all do in these type of situations? I cannot help but think what if I or someone I love where in the same situation, I would want people to believe the real urgency of the need.


Roy and I are going to Taste of Texas today. The Selection Committee at church gave me a gift card as a going away gift. We will put it to good use later today.


Next week should be an exciting one, I am volunteering for VBS. Melinda Scurlock, arm wrestled me into doing it...no, it was the draw of a free tshirt. Only then to discover this year's tshirt is burnt orange. Not a fan of that color. I am doing preschool registration and working in the snack room. Oh, I do hope I get to wear a hair net. My working out will be pushed back to the afternoon. I asked her what time to be there on Monday. She said 8:30. Dang, there are some days when that is waking up time. I'll just have to get in work mode for several days. When I went in to pick up the tshirt, I happened to be there for Eric Reed's birthday, so I got to celebrate with the ED staff. Lots of fun.

This week has also included some attentive reading. I have 3 books going, Secret Keepers, The biography of Freya Stark, and The Help. All very good. All very thought provoking. Something that isn't too thought provoking is Christian bookstores. I loved the one at church, good range of books and not too much Jesus junk. The Family Christian Bookstore I went in on Thursday....not good. Way too much Jesus junk for the decor of the home, not enough of tough books that make one think, and way too many bargain books that cluttered the store. Also, I nearly was run over in the parking lot and in the store by several pink and green clad "godly women" who looked more at home in the 80's than in 2009. There I am in workout clothes and others in hodge podge Christian appropriate "uniforms" and I thought no wonder the world makes fun of us, we help them out so much. I'm just saying......

1 comment:

Lindsee said...

Hey Nancy! Thanks for visiting my blog. I keep meaning to stop by and have just not. But, here I am! I love your blog. And, girl, I hope y'all have the best time at Taste of Texas tonight. Everything about it is fabulous. (I just went there this week for my birthday!)

Have fun at VBS next week and have a great rest of the weekend!

Lindsee