Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Amish Way or the Highway

I've really not had all that much to do with the Amish since Dena and I made the grand tour of the Amish in Tennessee several years ago. That is where we discovered what we like to call Amish Poison. It's not poison but it was addictive. No not furniture but the peanut brittle and carob covered chocolate we kept buying from this one farm. Multiple return trips. We still exchange Christmas Cards with those people on that farm. No, not really but I wish we did. They might send us some Amish poison for the holidays. I knew the Amish made wonderful furniture because my brother had several handmade pieces of furniture. Several times during the holidays last year I looked at Amish Spiced Peaches at the Play Grocery Store and there is even a book out about experiencing Amish peace. Pretty much it is all about the slow pace and simplified life. In years past life was going much faster than the pace of an Amish buggy backing up traffic on rural roads and unless something had been produced by the Amish and now on sale, I really wasn't interested. Not interested because I had no patience to wait three or four months for something to be made.


For the past several years I have been window shopping here and I have seen several pieces of furniture I would like to have except you know that pesky, wait three to four months thing. My life was filled with I need it delivered tonight...like Gallery Furniture back in the recent day. Enter 2010, me retired, and now experiencing the considerably slowed down lifestyle. Let's just say what a joy it was today to order furniture that I don't need to think about for several more months. I did order the glider that is pictured, if you went out to see the link. I ordered it in a different fabric though. I did not order the footstool as it glides as well and for me that's a little more movement than I want to experience or see. I also ordered a desk chair and praying that the one we have now lasts three or four more months. Before leaving the store I got to pick out an Amish fruit butter as a thank you and got free delivery when the furniture arrives. Think name dropping Jennifer M. helped me out there. Thanks Jennifer and Happy Anniversary!


On my way home I stopped at the Play Grocery store to pick up a few items. Right there standing in front of the meat counter was my friend Patty. She is my friend and former tennis partner. We hadn't seen each other in a long time. We did a quick catch up and have lunch plans for the future. We have had many, many laughs and jokes together. On December 31, I ran into my tennis friend Linwood at Sports Authority. She still plays tennis and is still the southern lady from Jackson, Mississippi. We sat down on a bench in the shoe department and visited for over an hour. Linwood is the queen of 6 degrees of separation. I love that about her. When we went to a fund raiser and Winston Groom was speaking and then signing his latest book, she brought her yearbook from the University of Alabama for him to sign. They had both graduated from there and knew quite a few mutual acquaintances. Here I thought my first edition Forrest Gump might get his attention, since there are very few to be found anymore. So it has been fun, tennis renewal week.


So there you go, Amish, Amesch, and Amen. Have no clue why I wrote that, but triple A right there looking at ya!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad they gave you the free delivery. EmmyKate loves to sit in that chair whenever we go into the store, but I agree, the fabric is ugly and I would have picked something else too!