Monday, January 11, 2010

Me and a Little Squirrel, We Don't Have a Thing Going On

Anyone know the song, Me and Mrs. Jones, we got a thing going on? Well my mind thinks musically and in that I mean, songs pop into my head for circumstances in life. Anyway after today's encounter with a squirrel, all I can think is Me and this little squirrel, we got a thing NOT going on.





I had just returned from a wonderful lunch celebrating birthdays of two of my besties...Lisa P and Peggy. They were both born on the same day but different years. So the three of us went to Grand Lux to celebrate today. It was not boring. We had to change booths because there was a hot tea spill on aisle 3. All that means is somehow Lisa's hot tea got knocked over and it was taking over the table and running off...mostly on my side. They moved us over one booth. We all had an interesting discussion on piccata, piccato, and miso. And then more so, we had great laughs at our definitions of the terms. Peggy was reviewing all her Latin knowledge from high school and Lisa and I were conjugating verbs in Spanish. OK, we weren't but didn't that sound good. We had great fun making the words of the day (see above) and making them into musical terms. Like mezzo piccatta or a soft piccato. Even John Bolin had fun with them. He was there having lunch and came over to say hello. I know visiting with the three of us was a life changing experience for him. Bill, Peggy's husband and son David ate lunch at the Grand Lux today. It was a veritable First Baptist hang out today. I know you are wondering, ah so where is the squirrel in this story. Be patient, it's coming. While we were laughing and visiting we were entertained by a much, too much in lust couple making out in the parking lot. Sadly for us, it was a long goodbye. It was like a train wreck, we couldn't stop watching... They weren't even very attractive.





OK. So we finally break up the party and go our separate ways. I pulled into my parking space here at home and did a quick check of my emails before getting out of the car. Now being the diligent and helpful friend that I am, I had an email from a good friend asking me my opinion on a purchase at The Nord. Instead of coming in and answering on the computer, I sat there and used my Black Berry to respond. The door to the car was open and I was busily writing when I saw a little movement to the left of me, outside the car. There was a squirrel with its little paws on the ledge of the car, looking up at me and getting ready to jump on into the car. I screamed bloody murder and I nearly wet my pants being overtaken with such fierce fear. I scared the squirrel and a guy walking his dog. He hadn't seen the squirrel. He just heard the scream. He ran over to me to see if he could help. I was embarrassed to tell him about the squirrel, but did. He just looked at me like...sure lady. This guy is in his 20's. About this time his dog starts barking and going nuts and there is the squirrel sitting there, looking at us as if he or she might come on over to see what's going on. The only explanation I can think of is, people have been feeding the squirrel and it has lost some of the fear of humans. I will always carry the fear of a rodent with a big busy tail.

2 comments:

FitzandMolly said...

My sister and I had a squirrel in our apartment once. When the maintenance guys finally got it out of the closet to try to chase it out the door, we screamed b/c it had started to come in our direction. Good thing, b/c it quickly ran the other way and literally bounced off a tree and went over a fence.

Jenny B said...

Don't I remember a story about a lizard jumping in your moving car? What is with you and small animals jumping into your car? You must just seem like an animal lover. Or the animal rumor mill has gotten around that you scream really well when they do. :) Too funny!