Friday, January 8, 2010

Dear Senior Citizen, What the Heck? Are You Writing to Me?

Dear Senior Citizen,
We are proud to announce a Senior Final Expense Life Insurance to help pay what the Federal Government does not pay for your final expense.

This is what greeted me in the mail today. What the heck? I am 55 years old. I only like to be called a senior if there is a discount involved or I want close parking in the North parking lot at church. Not looking for supplemental death insurance, unless this is a warning from the Lord and Pennsylvania Life Insurance Company is John the Baptist preparing the way. This invite could not come at a more fitting week because even though I am young at heart, my body is tending to veer over to the other side and I HATE it and I have been MAD about it and have made some sacred vows for the veering to stop!


Here it is bottom line, the virus that attacked my heart in 2008 has also attacked other vital organs. The first known one is my pancreas. The effects have just now shown up. Really over night. They can tell by looking at the cells. Who knew? There is a very likely chance that it also attacked my liver and kidneys. Maybe even my brain, which just cracks me up because at least medically speaking Doctors have acknowledged that there is one in my head...much to the surprise of loved ones and me. Well, it maybe effecting my brain via other organs. Via Via Las Virus.... Little shout out to Elvis on his 75th birthday. He is really alive and lives in Michigan. Cold preserves him. So the rest of my days before I pay for my final expense, will have lots and lots of surprises in them. It is a little overwhelming big picture wise.


So how do I know that I am a senior citizen? Other than being addressed as one in a letter. Well, standing in line at the Walgreen's gave me some clue. One older lady in line, turned to me and said, do I know you? Why are you so tall? Women who wear pink are big babies. ( I have on a pink sweater today) She might be right on that one. Then her helper came back and corralled her in. I need to get a helper so I can say stuff. No, don't think so. Come to think of it, the helper was as tall as me.


Oops, I got ahead of myself. Well, this week I had an appointment with another Dr to see what the heck is going on. That was Wednesday. It's not a good sign when you get a call from the Dr office asking you can come back in and it is Thursday morning. All the numbers you don't want to be high were high, really high, very high just like they had been in December. I mean I did a drastic cutback. They could tell by looking at things this wasn't cause I went on some holiday binge, it was from a compromised pancreas. So I have a lot of work ahead and many fronts to fight.


Now I want to honest here, I did pray before going in and I read a great blog about reacting as a Christian, not just act like one...which is pretty easy. Reacting is hard. I've found great comfort in Proverbs 4 and even today on the radio I heard Nancy Leigh DeMoss talking with other women about scripture memorization. Several verses that they said, blessed me. Believe me I am not a big Nancy Leigh fan. Didn't like her book Lies Women Believe and not looking for a blessing there from her program, but you know God.... Charles Stanley and Psalm 55 blessed me this morning. I say all this cause I'm struggling with this news and find it difficult to accept. I have done everything I should and boom...all this hits. Of course Colt McCoy could be saying the same thing today. Yet, I still Praise Him and Trust Him! God is in control.


So trying to drown out my downstairs neighbor's loud music right now, so I have some praise and worship playing. Just heard Trading my Sorrows. Yep, it ministered.


I'm overwhelmed with the thought the rest of my health life will be a fight. And surprises can occur at anytime. So picking up prescriptions and stuff at Walgreen's, the clerk is trying to be all nice and compassionate and in her help, she compared me to her grandmother....NO!!!!!!!


Today, I did a very fun thing. I had lunch with two wonderful, smart, loving, funny and talented college girls. Of course we ate at The Nord. I had a blast with them. Before meeting them I took some stuff back to Nordy that doesn't fit anymore. I officially bought a size 14 pair of jeans today. I have lost a total of 87 pounds and very encouraged to be losing more. See I am finding things to be very grateful for and resting in God through this. Roy was so funny yesterday, he said what is it with you before storms and your health? (Houston is experiencing a chilly blast or Artic Blast and heart stuff came days before Hurricane Ike)


Well, I just took my first pill and I am waiting to see if I can operate machinery while on it. Side effects that may occur include diarrhea, gas, headache, nausea, stomach upset or vomiting. The instructions say if this bothersome for you...if this is bothersome... uh yes, I believe it would be a little bothersome. These seem to be the side effects for every pill I have seen in the last few years. Guess I will look through the rest of the mail and see if anymore Dear Senior Citizen letters. We are getting a lot of my mother in law's mail because Roy is the executor. Some of these catalogs that are intended for senior citizens are a bit racy. One page house dresses and mu mu's. The next page s*x toys and paraphernalia for the elder adult. I'm shocked! I definitely have an opinion on all that but I ain't gonna write anything about it on my blog.


Oh, there is a senior discount at IHOP that came in the mail today. Dang, that's off my diet for now.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Nancy, sounds like Texans are experiencing the same artic blast that we are having here in Alabama. I don't love it! Sounds like you have had a rough patch the last few days. Remember you are more than an overcomer with our Lord. I want to pray for you. What requests can I join you in?

much love, Lori

FitzandMolly said...

I am in disbelief that someone compared you to her grandmother. You are the last person I picture as being old!

I'm sorry to hear of your health issues - praying for you.

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE NOT OLD - BECAUSE IF YOU ARE OLD THEN I'M OLD! Someone told me this week that Marge Caldwell got 'mad' and refused to be called a Senior Citizen! So, if Marge could get mad and refuse then we can too! We are only following the advice of our elder!

Sorry to hear about all of the health problems that you are having! Praying!

LMS

Marty said...

I am praying for you too, sweet sister.

Ali said...

And I thought Peggy was your helper ...

dang ;-)