Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas!!!  It's a quiet, wind blowing, intermittent rain kind of morning out here on the prairie.  Our house guests are at Peggy's, Roy has gone back to bed, Buddy is contemplating her mid morning nap and I am drinking coffee and taking in the silence and quiet.  So welcomed after having so many years of deadlines, appearances and schedules at Christmas.  When the nieces were little, it was a joy getting up early to spend Christmas with them.  Back in the day that meant a huge loss of sleep because we went to the 11:00 Christmas Eve at First Baptist.  Ah, those were the days. 

Last night we went to the Bains for Christmas Eve supper.  Very fun!  All the kiddos were settling in, setting out the Santa cookies and food for the reindeer and then falling asleep so that Santa could come.  We left around 8:30 because it was looking rather dim on me being able to stay awake for the 10:30 Christmas Eve service at Holy Apostles Episcopal Church.  So we looked at Christmas lights as we headed toward a church that I kind of remembered had a 9:30 Christmas Eve service.  A Christmas Miracle!  I had remembered correctly but we only had a few minutes before the service began.  Not to worry, still plenty of seating.  What a welcomed change of pace after years of having to get to a Christmas Eve service 30-45 minutes before it began because of the crowds and lack of parking at First Baptist or at St Martin's.  The youth choir did all the special music and there was even an alumni choir of college students home for Christmas that sang one song.The service was simple and meaningful.  It held both traditional and contemporary elements.  They served communion which is not at all unlike St Martin's but it was different from Episcopal style and very, very different from pass the elements style in the Baptist church.  I came away from that service with a timely word.  I also came away realizing I have become accustomed  to high production values and a timed flow of service events.  At first I thought, oh, this is going to really upset those leading the service and instead of getting agitated, they rolled along until the media got straightened out.   It was a refreshing experience to worship God in a different style and setting and it made me appreciative of the style and flow at our home church. 

Everyone (that would be Roy and Buddy) is up and moving.  So I will draw this to a close.  Have a Merry Christmas! 

1 comment:

FitzandMolly said...

I loved the 11 p.m. service. There was something peaceful about leaving the church on a clear, quiet night, and not going home to cooking dinner and other non-essentials. And I loved how simple and sacred it was, unlike the productions I've seen in recent years. I love my church, but sometimes I get tired of everything being over-produced. Just give me some old hyms & candles for Christmas.