Sunday, December 9, 2012

The Wonder of It All

We took another sabbatical Sunday today.  Roy has been participating in Celebration and has done so without taking any days off.  He pretty much drags himself in each night on the last bit of fumes of energy.  Instead of going out for lunch before he left for the remaining two performances today, we decided to go have breakfast.  When we first moved out here to the prairie we ate Saturday breakfast together at Otto's or Black Walnut Cafe or a few other places around here.  When Roy started attending Bible study at the Episcopal church on Saturday mornings, our breakfasting diminished.  It just wasn't as fun to eat out as when Roy was there. 

Last night I met Dena for dinner before we attended Celebration.  Nothing like starting out a fun evening with a bowl of gumbo.  We decided to scoot on over to church with plenty of time before the start.  Sold out shows=diminished parking.  What a great problem to have.  We took our vouchers and got our CDs, wandered around a bit and then headed to our seats.  I cannot tell how wonderful everything was in Celebration.  Just on a technical aspect it was one of the most beautifully staged productions but as always the heart aspect was even more impactful and beautiful.  At home I have watched a video of the processional filmed on Thursday night and each and every time I sit here and cry.  The meaning of the story that never changes but changes everything grabs at my heart each and every time...and when Page the elephant comes in and makes her graceful, yet smelly journey in the cross aisle, it makes me cry even more.  I am not a crier by nature so I came with tissues in case I sat there in the balcony and blubbered like a baby.  Thankfully, I teared up but didn't have the ugly cry going on.  Oh and the choir and orchestra, my friends, they hit it out of the park musically.  The only thing is, I hugged several and that glitter on the tops got all over me and eventually all over my car.  I even found some in the house and my top is in a plastic bag, not opened.   So it was the glitter of the evening that has graced our home.  I am so thankful that John Bolin and his team are so creative and that the Lord is honored and it is His Name that is lifted up.  After the show I ran into several good friends and we had a great time catching up with one another in the hallway.  Believe me when I tell you there was lots of laughter.  Dena and I walked out to the parking lot which had emptied by the time we got there.  So traffic was not a problem. 

Roy beat me home but I when I told him we had run into lots and lots of friends, he knew that will always put a little more time in between departing location and for home arrival.  Going to sleep last night was difficult.  I was wired and so full of energy.  Don't ask me if I still had that same energy this morning.  But as we have just come out of a season of gratitude, well more emphasis than normal and now we are in a season of gifts, I am so thankful and I am so grateful for the friends that God has given me.  Their prayers, texts, phone calls, tweets, FBing, love, laughter...the walking through difficult seasons with each other, rejoicing with those who rejoice and weeping with those who weep, what a gift, what a wonder of God's indescribable gift.    At Bible study on Thursday, Peggy and I were talking with a friend and our friend mentioned how blessed she is  by her best friend.   The kind of friend who don't care if you have make up on, can drop in and not judge if the house is a mess, those friends who we love and who overlook our faults, even when they are bountiful.  We are talking about the kind of friend you don't talk to for a while and can start right up as if no time has gone by.  Friends who don't wear their feelings on their sleeves or try to manipulate or who tell your story, even when it is not theirs to tell.  There are those kind of friends who try to one up you with the, 'you think you've got it bad....blah, blah, blah.  Yep, there is a time and place for that kind of behavior and it is called Junior High.  I read a Jan Silvious quote on Twitter today,
"Drama producers are masters at 'drawing others in' to be a part of their production. Best thing you can do, especially at Christmas in close quarters, is make up your mind you won't take the bait to be part of the play. Avoid discussing anything that is personal. Keep it general."

So glad that in my circle of friends, there aren't drama producers.  Oh yes, we have drama and sometimes we need drama-mine to deal with the stresses and unexpected surprises that can overwhelm if we aren't secure in the solid rock.  Love you dear friends!  Thank you!  I am so blessed!
I'm off to finish up homework.  Tomorrow is a busy day but I am trying to focus on Christ in each day, celebrating the season and the wonder of it all. 

1 comment:

Margaret Feinberg said...

sounds like the prefect Sunday to me--drama and all!