Saturday, December 22, 2012

Our First Official Boy/Girl Party in Our Home

I woke up this morning to the sound of an early tweet that most people use for receiving a text message.  Roy had already left for Bible study and he usually calls if there is a problem.  It chirped again and I got to thinking maybe it is a text emergency from family or friends.  On this particular morning it was more difficult than usual to get out of bed and walk.  I can't even describe how I moved as shuffling.  Several months ago in an attempt not to look at Facebook first thing before getting out of bed, I moved my phone and charger to the kitchen.  So I made the long painful journey only to find the text was from a friend of Roy's at Bible study.  Roy doesn't know his cell phone number and he assured the friend that it was ok to text me so very early in the morning so that Roy would have his phone number.  Roy's friend was very apologetic and I responded back..."that Roy."  You see I really couldn't complain too much because just the night before Roy and I had our first boy/girl party at our house.  Yes, way overdue.  Roy did so much to help, no let me put it another way, he did the majority of the work because I don't have the stamina like I used to have.  Roy also reminded me that I had been giving a lot of emotional energy to the party beginning several days before we had it.  He had not expended that kind of energy. 

To tell you the truth I still feel hung over this afternoon, nay, early evening.  Now I don't know how or where I know this information about hang overs....maybe from the movies.  It wasn't until after 11:00 am that I really could move and not walk like Frankenstein.  But I would do it all over again because last night was a lot of fun.  Roy and I decided on a eclectic menu, tamales from Good Old Boys, chicken pot pie and shepherds pie from Kay Teas Room, chips and queso from El Rancho rounded out with my salad and a fruit salad.  For dessert we had cherry strudel and a Scottish fruit cake (it's not the usual fruitcake) from Kay's Tea Room, coconut cake, fudge made by Peggy and all the fixins for s'mores.  It was just right outside, not too cold and not to warm to enjoy the outdoor fireplace and the fire pit table.  There was even a bit of singing but not an all sing.  It must have been meant to be because everyone I invited didn't have any other holiday plans.  So very thankful to have such great friends, and I'm not just talking about friends in our home last night but we are so blessed with friends that we truly love and appreciate.  And maybe the sentiment is mutual. 

Today, I have kind of been working on getting things ready for my trip to Israel.  I pretty much know what I am taking.  Packing light but it has been good to do consultations with Dena to see if we are packing with the same mindset.  We are going to look like twinners.  We both have the same brand and color of carry on luggage and we both are taking our red all weather coats. 

It was bound to happen but I saw my first rodent on the prairie.  As I casually looked out the backyard window at all the doves and  I saw something scurrying along the fence and then the doves got all worked up and were trying to scare the thing in the yard.  Now this is a miracle, I didn't scream but calmly alerted Roy to the situation.  He went outside to investigate.  He thinks it was just passing through looking for some food but to be on the safe side he went and got some rat poison.  He went to his newly discovered hardware store which has now replaced Tractor Supply as his version of the Nord.  They told him how to put the poison out so the birds wouldn't eat it.  Roy got that set up this afternoon.   Yesterday afternoon we emptied all the bird feeders just to be preventative.  The feeders are no way located where I saw the thing. 

We have been kind of amused with descriptions around here on the prairie.  As you know we live off a water feature, not a lake, or a pond or a bayou or a detention pond or a ditch...a water feature. One of the newer subdivisions on 1463 advertises water front property.  Water front property would be the man made water feature created where there probably once was real water front property, rice fields.  I once went to a church where the pastor referred to the new sidewalks being put in on the property as artificial terra firma.  Hmmm....Rancho de Five has many nature trails throughout the community.  They made something usable and beautiful out of areas where no building can be placed.  Other communities advertise their nature trails but we call them the trails to nowhere because they are located between the property fences and the street and only one trail leads somewhere and this is to the Shell station.

I better get back to packing.  The next few days will be a little hectic and while I am remembering things I need to take I am putting them in the bags.

No comments: